PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Check: Xaviere Electrics

srinivassa
07-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Maybe this is out in left field, but I'm curious what the general opinion toward GFS guitars (especially now that buck katt is long gone). There were some tireless proponents. I don't hear them suggested as much lately.

My opinion: I'll probably just invest the $220 and see. I imagine it's hot and cold, like you could get something where the stars aligned, but you're likely to have 1-2 minor problems.

:anyone:

static
07-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I would have to be pretty desperate to own one.

Cobalt
07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Maybe this is out in left field, but I'm curious what the general opinion toward GFS guitars (especially now that buck katt is long gone). There were some tireless proponents. I don't hear them suggested as much lately.

My opinion: I'll probably just invest the $220 and see. I imagine it's hot and cold, like you could get something where the stars aligned, but you're likely to have 1-2 minor problems.

:anyone:

It's pretty much like you say, Ive heard good and bad. Im always looking at Tele copies and I would probably get one from Rondo first or actually, get a Squire Classic Vibe. But back to your question, I think hot or cold is the best way to describe it from what Ive read. Some people received great ones and some not so great. What are you looking for?

srinivassa
07-04-2012, 03:05 AM
Pretty much settled on the purple HSS (http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-895HSS-String-Through-Setneck-QUILT-Top-HSS-Transparent-Purple_p_4498.html)

Unless everyone cries foul. Anything could be wrong with it from what I've read. Finish, Frets, Nut to Bridge. It could be a decent little toy though.

Greg
07-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Pretty much settled on the purple HSS (http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-895HSS-String-Through-Setneck-QUILT-Top-HSS-Transparent-Purple_p_4498.html)

Unless everyone cries foul. Anything could be wrong with it from what I've read. Finish, Frets, Nut to Bridge. It could be a decent little toy though.

I want that same one except with the Floyd. Please let me know what you think.

BTW I actually emailed them at one point and asked what guitar they would compare them to. Let me dig up the email and I'll get back to you.

Greg
07-04-2012, 03:17 AM
"Greg,

The XV-890 is very similar to a ESP LTD M-200FM. Playing one of those will give you a very good idea of how these are like.

Thanks,"

That's the email I got back, you can infer what I asked.

Dexter1225
07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
You know what? I have some nicer guitars and I can feel and hear differences in the neck, resonance, stock pick-ups, etc... But I don't understand why some guitarists feel they need to blow a ton of money on an expensive guitar thinking that's the only way to get good tone.

(Here I go again talking about my Rondo :P), but sometimes I don't understand why there has to be sooooo much price disparity in guitars. This $100 Rondo makes some great tones, and a $1,500 MIA Strat Deluxe makes some great tones, but is it worth the difference of $1,400? I dunno...

I say go for it, tear it up, beat the hell out of it, and then you'll have some great stories with a $200 guitar.

static
07-05-2012, 06:07 AM
That would be like eating a bologna sandwich when you could have steak.

jri
07-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Have the Strat style. Very good pick-ups well built. nut and frets needed work. Afeter set up very good guitar. Arrived with action high, cheap strings, and had to adjust truss rod. I would buy another but would figure in a set-up cost.

Greg
07-06-2012, 03:17 PM

You are gonna post a nice review right? I can't find many good reviews. I'll give ya a shiny nickle!

rudos1
07-06-2012, 03:34 PM
That would be like eating a bologna sandwich when you could have steak.

I would often prefer a nice baloney and cheese sandwich to a steak. Like guitars there is a big difference between brands. If you have not had it try Meisterchef German Baloney. The best!!

strumnhum
07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
I've only owned one- http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-610-Semi-Hollow-Dream-180s-Pearl-Pickguard_c_209.html , so don't know if the quality is consistent or not. When I got it, did a set up--new strings, truss rod and saddle adjustments. The frets were fine, didn't need any fretwork. Played very nicely, all electronics worked as they should. It was a nice guitar-the pickups didn't turn out to be what I was looking for tonewise, but they were decent, nothing wrong with them, in fact, when I traded it in, they really liked the p/u's and tone and playability. But as you can't play it first anywhere, wouldn't buy another, or any guitar now without first playing it. I may miss out on a few good deals this way, but won't be losing $$ by finding out it wasn't what I was looking for AFTER I've paid for it, and losing money on a trade in.

srinivassa
07-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Well, today is Friday payday. The guitar is out this check. I have to put two tires on my car and get an alignment. ~$425 My next check 20th has remarkably few expenses on it. I'm going to take home more disposable income on this check than any all year. I'll probably get the purple HSS string thru guitar. I'm also tempted by the Les Paul clone with the abalone purfing. I'll try to do a thurough review either way. If it plays well enough, I'll consider replacing the pickups.

static
07-06-2012, 05:29 PM
I would often prefer a nice baloney and cheese sandwich to a steak. Like guitars there is a big difference between brands. If you have not had it try Meisterchef German Baloney. The best!!

The thing about bologna is no matter how much cheese lettuce tomato mustard and kaopectate you put on it , it's still bologna.

rudos1
07-06-2012, 05:43 PM
The thing about bologna is no matter how much cheese lettuce tomato mustard and kaopectate you put on it , it's still bologna.

NO NO NO just the bread and the cheese and the bologna you will ruin it like catsup on a good piece of steak....

:thwap:

static
07-06-2012, 05:47 PM
My kids put peanut butter with it hahaha. But it's still bologna.

Greg
07-06-2012, 06:08 PM

I hate tomatoes

rudos1
07-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Moe Howard always said , "Baloney and Whipped Cream!!"

static
07-06-2012, 06:15 PM
I hate tomatoes

I hate bologna. wanna trade?

Greg
07-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Sure thing, better ship them fast or else the tomatoes will get soft and the bologna will get.... fuzzy

static
07-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Bummer, I'm 5 days from anywhere.

zombiewolf
07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
My xaviere xv 599 lp flame maple clone review...

Good things= Finish and construction, pickups, neck comfort, electronics, great tonewise

Not so great things= badly cut nut ,needed setup, typical vibration from abr bridge wire, tuners a little wimpy, wish they had used block inlays instead of those little stars.

Overall, for the money $269 how could you go wrong? I've had guitars costing much more needing setups and pickups, etc. etc. These are no different.