Guitar Forums

Guitar Forums (http://www.guitarforums.com/index.php)
-   The Music Lounge (http://www.guitarforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Minimalism (http://www.guitarforums.com/showthread.php?t=38359)

G-man 04-11-2015 02:22 PM

Minimalism

What do we all thing of it? Whatever the genre (e.g. avant garde, classical, etc.)

I really dig it, especially Terry Riley, Tony Conrad, etc.

shredd 04-11-2015 02:39 PM

Like most aspects of music/playing, it has it's place. To illustrate: there are times when watching EVH shred a solo, jamming about 575 notes into a 30-second solo is great; then there's times when watching DGilmour do a spine-tingling 3-minute solo using about 6 notes is amazing too.

cheezyridr 04-11-2015 06:22 PM

some people can never get enough of minimalism.

:rofl:

Highroller 04-11-2015 06:30 PM

You know what? I happen to be listening to Talking Heads doing "Psycho Killer" this very minute!

"Say it once, why say it again?"

To some degree, the whole idea of punk is based on minimalism. Short, compact songs, no indulgent solos, simple song construction, etc.

I'm good with it - especially the idea of using simple, minimalist parts that when combined form a complex whole. Hell, that definitely goes back as far as Phillip Glass and Terry Riley, but more recently Radiohead's built their entire career around it.

It can definitely make for some great music!

G-man 04-11-2015 07:11 PM

This is one of my favourite Tony Conrad pieces. It's minimalist avant garde but perfectly demonstrates to me the brilliance of minimalism. It's a mad concept, and shouldn't work, but it does. It's fascinating and yet ridiculously simple.

Cobalt 04-11-2015 08:10 PM

For some reason it won't play. I guess minimalist music does not affect song length?

Abo 04-12-2015 04:17 AM

Minimalism.

Are minim and vand related ?

Jase 04-12-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kumachan (Post 544304)
some people can never get enough of minimalism.

:rofl:

Hahaha.

I like my music to make sense. I don't want it stuck on rails
, but some of that avante garde stuff goes right over my head. Some of the early Floyd stuff I didn't care for, although an old hippy friend of mine says its classic Floyd haha.

It won't do your creativity any harm though G if you like it

Take from it what you find useful, and make it uniquely your own.

RainDancer 04-12-2015 12:09 PM

As Frank Zappa once said, one chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords is too much.

That said, variety is the spice of life AND music. I've written tracks that use one chord, although they tend to use that one chord and it's associated minor, sus, and 6 or 7 type variants.

Minimalism has it's place, but for me a great chord progression is what makes a track stand out from the crowd.

Highroller 04-12-2015 01:53 PM

Not that it really matters, but I'm pretty sure that was Lou Reed, not Zappa:

“One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you’re into jazz.”

And it was complete BS, but Lou knew how to give a great quote. Compared to Zappa, his stuff was pretty simple - minimalist, primitive, whatever you wanna call it. But it wasn't THAT simple! It's not like every song he wrote was a 2 chord rave-up like "Heroin". He could build a lovely chord progression when he wanted to.