Guitar Forums

Guitar Forums (http://www.guitarforums.com/index.php)
-   Tales from the road (http://www.guitarforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Vanishing singer (http://www.guitarforums.com/showthread.php?t=37834)

AlyKat 03-01-2015 12:19 PM

Vanishing singer

Up until a few years ago I had never sung anywhere but in the shower. I was in a band (rhythm guitar player) for a long time that never got off the ground due to all the usual issues & then finally one day it all came together & we actually had a handful of gigs lined up. You know the story....

Anyway, our singer had never sung in a band before or in front of an audience. She was an excellent singer & was doing great. About 2 weeks before our first gig she got a major case of cold feet. She left rehearsal one night & we never saw her again. She would not return calls, texts, voice messages, nothing. Well, the show must go on, so I volunteered to give it a try till we could find another singer. My bandmates were delighted with my singing (half deaf & no taste at all) so 2 weeks later I sang for the first time in front of a large audience & they never did look for another singer.

That band is no longer together but they gave me the confidence to sing as well as play guitar. I will never forget that.
ALy

RainDancer 03-01-2015 12:39 PM

The band I was in long ago had the same problem with a drummer. We went through drummers at the rate of about one a month. Finally we found a great drummer, but he completely folded when we had a big booking.

Thankfully the next guy was even better, and a real showman, he loved gigs.

BTW This thread title is a great Album Title.

Z. Wolf 03-01-2015 01:01 PM

Flakes..the world is full of them.

I've been in the cold feet club but the show must go on, so I wore my warm boots!

Hi Hat 03-01-2015 01:09 PM

It helps me to sing scales along with a keyboard.

Keep looking for another band. You'll do fine.

CeeDeeMac 03-01-2015 03:42 PM

My good friend from Maine, has a weekend band, Zombie Beach, that plays surf and rock-a-billy music (no vocals). When a new bassist joined, he showed up at the first gig with a welder's mask because he said he would be too nervous for everyone to see him. Well, it kinda became a "thing".

And Aly, from what I can tell, you can do pretty much anything you set your mind to.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...a53d92480b2b38

MuskRatt 03-01-2015 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeeDeeMac (Post 536432)
My good friend from Maine, has a weekend band, Zombie Beach, that plays surf and rock-a-billy music (no vocals). When a new bassist joined, he showed up at the first gig with a welder's mask because he said he would be too nervous for everyone to see him. Well, it kinda became a "thing".

And Aly, from what I can tell, you can do pretty much anything you set your mind to.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...a53d92480b2b38

LOL, They look like a mixed bag of tricks. :)

AlyKat 03-01-2015 04:24 PM

CDM,
Haha, that's funny......a little hot tho for that welders mask :)
ALy

Hi Hat,
Done with the band thing...too many nuts & divas & live music has all but vanished in my area. There are too many bands fighting over the same 2 dives to play in once in month for peanuts. It was fun for a while but I'm over it.
Aly

Genereaux 03-01-2015 05:53 PM

Before I started this current band, the band I was in was 3 guitarists, and one would do most of the singing. However he had some substance struggles, and wound up unavailable and/or unable to play quite a handful of our shows. Which would leave us only able to play a third of our normal setlist.
That experience really tipped the scales for me. Adding to the frustration of many writing scenarios beforehand where I write some pretty damn good songs with a partner then that environment would go away and I was unable to play those songs because I couldn't sing them, I decided I would just do my own singing (yelling) from then out.
10 years on now, and it's been the most productive and longest lasting band/artistic endeavor I've been a part of.

So I'd say good for you and keep on it.

BallisticSquid 03-01-2015 06:14 PM

Interesting stories. The welder's mask this is hysterical! Hey, if Buckethead can get away with putting a KFC chicken bucket on his head, what's wrong with a welder's mask!

Wow Aly, given your singing I assumed you had been singing out for many years. It's happened to lots of bands where the lead singers leaves and another band member steps up. Genesis is a good example. Spock's Beard also.

Some of us creative type as just weird. I would go through bouts of self doubt in my playing. I learned to deal with it. Playing on stage was the rush for me!! Once you overcome the cold feet, it's an incredible experience. My first time on stage, I could barely stand up AFTER we were done...I started to shake. From then on though, I thoroughly enjoyed being up there.

It's too bad I didn't do this 15 or 20 years ago when I had the time. Just not something I can manage now...

RainDancer 03-01-2015 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggior (Post 536486)
My first time on stage, I could barely stand up AFTER we were done...I started to shake.

I hope the drummer gave you a set of maracas and said it was an encore solo :rofl: