Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 08-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Well, you don't really, but I've always wondered about this wisdom of this, and since the old bridge has front screws you could just copy it. May not a good idea, dunno.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #12
FillmoreNYC
Kung Fu Chicken

FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Im noticing some other oddities between those two bridges. Its very hard to see clearly in the pics, but is the guitar (and chrome bridge) strung thru the body? I dont see any string thru body holes on the black bridge, but I THINK I see string holes at the back of the bridge where the intonation screws are. IF thats the case, the black bridge you've got is whats known as a "toploader" bridge, but again, its really hard to tell from the pics.

Also, the bridges DO appear to physically be the same size, but look at the location of the 3 screw holes under the saddles of the chrome bridge... the 3 screw holes on the black bridge are located noticeably further forward, which (if you use the same 3 screw holes in the guitar) is gonna bring the hole for the pickup in the black bridge further rearward than it is with the chrome bridge, making the likelihood of the bridge pickup being misaligned with the route in the guitar body worse than originally thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnulist View Post
Pk, Fillmore - I found these saddles but they're only 2 1/16 spacing (instead of 2 1/8). Would they still work?
Going from 2 1/8" to 2 1/16" wont make any appreciable difference as far as polepiece alignment, and in actuality, may make an issue like strings slipping off the ends of the frets while playing less likely, since the strings will be incrementally inboard on each side of the fretboard. The full spread is only 1/16" different, which equates to 1/32" on each side. Not a big difference at all.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #13
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

The bridge looks like the one on my asat. The strings go down the side of the screw
Looks goofy, but each string gets an individual saddle.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #14
somnulist

somnulist Just getting started

The stock is a top loader, the black one is a dual load. The pieces are pretty close to the same size but the black is probably ~ 1/2 inch shorter. The 3 mounting holes from the stock bridge would be exposed but a lot of people just put some screws in the holes and it blends pretty well. Especially if you go top load and the string anchors busy up the area.
somnulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
Hawk

Hawk Just getting started Hawk Just getting started

Have you checked the cavity to see if there's room for the pickup at that angle?

Might consider searching Bubba Mod on TDPRI for another option, though maybe you already have.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote