Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Jam Clinic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #81
old geezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 417
old geezer Just getting started
Default

Thanks Aly
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #82
old geezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 417
old geezer Just getting started
Default

Not sure if anyone wants some good free vsts. But on this I used a poulin Hybrit (couldn't call it marshall ) Tal reverb 3 Plektron WTComp Analogue tube compressor MK patriot heavy gauge strings, Alice metal pick
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:00 AM   #83
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back
 
ronpfid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,291
ronpfid Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Great thread guys. Loved the backing track not sure who done it. But I like it. Great playing everyone I have been sitting here listening. Its great to see so many joining in and having fun with this one. I have been playing over it. As you all know its these kind of guys ( Blues players ) that I really love. RIP BB. This was he's most heart wrenching song

.https://soundcloud.com/neil-phillips-185558869/bbs-song
Nice job! cool tone, nice riffs!
__________________
---------------------------------
Be the string

Last edited by ronpfid; 10-21-2017 at 03:17 AM.
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:18 AM   #84
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back
 
ronpfid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,291
ronpfid Just getting started
Default

I myself love this backtrack, I keep messing with it, here is my version 4 LOL

https://soundcloud.com/user-82527982...edit-4export-1
__________________
---------------------------------
Be the string
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #85
old geezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 417
old geezer Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
I myself love this backtrack, I keep messing with it, here is my version 4 LOL

https://soundcloud.com/user-82527982...edit-4export-1
Hi Ron who did the backing track. do you know who the singers are ?
Version 4

its addictive isn't it. certain rhythms pull you in. looks like your enjoying this one. Nice playing mate.

Its interesting seeing different takes on this idea. I kept trying to be more fluent like yours.

But I think the Kellys stiffness forces me to slow down. its catch 22 lighter gauge makes it easier to play. Personally I think string gauge does have a huge effect on the tone. I know not everyone agrees with that. If you can hear a difference acoustically. Which I can between 9s and 10s. Then that difference will carry over to any amplification used. Not sure I could tell blind mind. It makes it easier to tell the differences when the instrument is in your hands. If gauge didn't matter we would have 7s on bass guitars. Can you imagine what that would sound like

I think its good to have more than one guitar with different gauges. I much prefer 9s for the faster stuff. Thanks for starting the thread up Ron its fun
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #86
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back
 
ronpfid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,291
ronpfid Just getting started
Default

I have no idea who the singers are, I got this off that Karoke website deal everyone uses on here.

Yes, this one is one of those, I gotta get one take where I 'like' what I did without thinking, 'darn it I should have...' then I'll be happy lol

I agree, I use 9's for easier playing, faster, etc. but IMO also, larger gauges sound much better, but they kill my fingers. I've always used super slinky's. I've thought about mixing though, the B and E aren't so bad with 10's, but the G and D when larger are harder to deal with, so using 10's for E and B, but the pack of 9's for the rest might sound better.
__________________
---------------------------------
Be the string
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #87
old geezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 417
old geezer Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
I have no idea who the singers are, I got this off that Karoke website deal everyone uses on here.

Yes, this one is one of those, I gotta get one take where I 'like' what I did without thinking, 'darn it I should have...' then I'll be happy lol

I agree, I use 9's for easier playing, faster, etc. but IMO also, larger gauges sound much better, but they kill my fingers. I've always used super slinky's. I've thought about mixing though, the B and E aren't so bad with 10's, but the G and D when larger are harder to deal with, so using 10's for E and B, but the pack of 9's for the rest might sound better.
Totally agree. The Kelly kills me I cant do half the stuff I do on 9s.Same experience as you.
I am sort of in the process of getting different guitars for different sounds and purposes. And with different gauges. My New Tele with 9s is faster. But it needs a setup, action is way too high. But high frets prevent a good lower action for fast lead. But I know a genius luthier he will get it so action is low. And no dead notes choking, or buzzing frets. The guy who sorted out the Kelly.
Its weird Ron you know how many times ive been thinking just like you. All the time mate, ive got 4 versions of the thrill is gone lol. It bugs you doesn't it. always happens when everything is going swimmingly. Am I right ? We are all in the same boat there
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #88
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back
 
ronpfid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,291
ronpfid Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Totally agree. The Kelly kills me I cant do half the stuff I do on 9s.Same experience as you.
I am sort of in the process of getting different guitars for different sounds and purposes. And with different gauges. My New Tele with 9s is faster. But it needs a setup, action is way too high. But high frets prevent a good lower action for fast lead. But I know a genius luthier he will get it so action is low. And no dead notes choking, or buzzing frets. The guy who sorted out the Kelly.
Its weird Ron you know how many times ive been thinking just like you. All the time mate, ive got 4 versions of the thrill is gone lol. It bugs you doesn't it. always happens when everything is going swimmingly. Am I right ? We are all in the same boat there
Me too, I tried 10's once a long time ago, they sounded better but limited me so I just decided I'd rather have a thinner tone and just play then fight with the strings lol. I guess overall, I'd rather play better than have a teeny bit better tone that probably only I would even notice, and fumble more

Ha you too with the re-takes on this one eh? It's fun. I put my finished songs on media so I could listen in the car when I drive, then I play them and mentally go over what I 'should have done', then do it again a day or two later and try to fix what I didn't like in the previous takes. It's a great way to get better and helps with future other songs too.
__________________
---------------------------------
Be the string
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #89
Hi Hat
Senior Member
 
Hi Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: By the snare drum
Posts: 2,481
Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Great thread guys. Loved the backing track not sure who done it. But I like it. Great playing everyone I have been sitting here listening. Its great to see so many joining in and having fun with this one. I have been playing over it. As you all know its these kind of guys ( Blues players ) that I really love. RIP BB. This was he's most heart wrenching song

.https://soundcloud.com/neil-phillips-185558869/bbs-song
Sounds good Old Geezer. Nice tone.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #90
Hi Hat
Senior Member
 
Hi Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: By the snare drum
Posts: 2,481
Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
I myself love this backtrack, I keep messing with it, here is my version 4 LOL

https://soundcloud.com/user-82527982...edit-4export-1
Nice playing. What guitar and amp are you using?
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Competition | Piano Lessons