Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Jam Clinic

Old 11-27-2017, 12:57 AM   #61
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
yer welcome!
Thanks much! For some reason this BT is one of those I can't resist doing, re-doing, etc. I post it, then think oh man, I should have done...
LOL
#9 is one of those too.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 AM   #62
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
OK, did this for you, same theme, but clean.. (hey that rhymes lol)

https://soundcloud.com/user-825279824/jp-8-clean
I prefer the distorted one. Did you use chorus on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
OK here is mine.
Weird, yours had a country vibe to me, but not in a bad way. It sounded...wistful. Nice.

Quote:
yer welcome!
Thanks much! For some reason this BT is one of those I can't resist doing, re-doing, etc. I post it, then think oh man, I should have done...
LOL
Actually, I hated this track lol.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #63
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I prefer the distorted one. Did you use chorus on this?
Good ear, yes I did. Glisten Chorus, and delay... and reverb.. and noise gate.. so bare minimum lol

haha you hated it eh? Man I did at first, then it became a mental obsession lol. I went to sleep playing the lead in my head lol

Last edited by ronpfid; 11-27-2017 at 05:06 PM.
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #64
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
@Squid- (quoted wrong post)- I found you picking with more confidence and deliberation. Your bends seem better too. Really nice job.
Thanks Slim. I honestly thought the same thing to myself when I listened...thanks for noticing. Playing in a couple of bands over the past 3 years has helped tremendously . Just playing and playing and playing...

This thread has gone into turbo speed with all of the posts...and now we have JP9! Tomorrow I will try to get to everybody else's posts for a listen!

I did grab a listen to JP#9 - that is an awesome chord progression, just like Time by Pink Floyd, but starting on a Dm rather than Em.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #65
Mad Goose

Mad Goose Just getting started

Hi-Hat! Always love the simplicity of your tone and the laid back way you put what you have to say across. Country vibes yes. And did I hear a passing whiff of Jethro Tull?

Ron DUDE!!! I like the final one above the others. Nice tone*. A melody that sticks to you and the fast runs. Dont re-do it. Its good as it is.
*Recording tip: Don't allow your notes to 'sustain' for long tho. Sounds like you have your GAIN set to 27.9! (this coming from someone who usually cranks it up :P ). Let it fade naturally. Oh! Could not find your CLEAN tone playing. Was it the 3rd take?

Thanks for the compliments everyone. My idea was to lull everyone first (with a boring repetitive sleepy surf vibes same ol' riff) and then hit it with both barrels straight between the eyes. Didnt work. Hahahaha!!

Western Spaghetti Surf you say Slim? Nah, it was madness from the third verse. Wasnt even aware that I was 'appregiating'. I just let loose cos I was not sure what else to play. Just drone the 'A' and smash it with different chord shapes is all I can think of. Yes, missed and wrong notes aplenty.

When I played it back tho, I heard influences of Costello, Audioslave, Wallflowers, Hank, Knopfler, Fleetwood Mac, SRV and some others in there. Go figure.

In case you're interested, I experimented with the guitar tone for this one. Its my first time doing it. The SX LP copy DRY signal went straight into the laptop and I used VSTs to shape the tone in REAPER. Amp simulator (glow, minimal GAIN, mic'd, 4x12 cab - warm), Ambience Reverb (I LOVE THIS VST!), Delay, Presence, EQ, Limiter, (all free btw!!) and thats what I got. Monitored REAL-TIME with earphones. Kinda like it. No latency which was pleasantly surprising.

I could get that 'soft' & 'hard' picking/strikes (Slim complimented on this. THX!) I could not get in my usual set up. You should try this sometime. Let me know and I'd happy to point you to the right direction.

Thanks once again for giving this a listen. Appreciate it though I know I should've worked on it more.

Last edited by Mad Goose; 11-27-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Mad Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #66
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
What's the trick to getting the volumes for the clean & dirty to be at a similar level?
On your distortion pedal you'll have 2 knobs*. One is labelled "Level" and the other is is "Drive". Use the drive control to adjust the amount of distortion, then use the level knob to adjust the volume of the effect so that the guitar volume is similar (or louder/softer per your taste) when engaging/disengaging the pedal.

* Note: there are likely other knobs (e.g. tone, hi, low, etc.), but level and drive are the ones to adjust here. The nomenclature may vary also with effect make and model...volume instead of level, gain instead of drive, etc. If you are using a channel switching amp instead on an individual effect, use a similar approach.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #67
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
OK, did a final version, I didn't think I'd have time to practice this and do it more how I had it in my head today, but ended up having time, so this is my final version, through some runs in, changed octives during the chorus and only had one clinker note lol

I know your sick of my melody lol, but here is my final, sounds much better through headphones or real speakers.
https://soundcloud.com/user-825279824/jp-8-final
I like this quite a bit. This has a "put together" feel too it...not just directionless playing. Some really nice bends and runs in there also. I like the combination of the tone you are using with your playing.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:04 PM   #68
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Goose View Post

Ron DUDE!!! I like the final one above the others. Nice tone*. A melody that sticks to you and the fast runs. Dont re-do it. Its good as it is.
*Recording tip: Don't allow your notes to 'sustain' for long tho. Sounds like you have your GAIN set to 27.9! (this coming from someone who usually cranks it up :P ). Let it fade naturally. Oh! Could not find your CLEAN tone playing. Was it the 3rd take?
OK, will keep it as 'the final' then, thanks!
The clean one was take 2, this one...
https://soundcloud.com/user-825279824/jp-8-clean

haha gain is 'just' on 10, let me look how I had things set for this....
OK, this is what I actually had, i guess i didn't even have a compressor in the mix, the sustain must just be from the amp simulation.