Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Introduce Yourself

Old 12-28-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Flyby

Flyby Just getting started
Default hi there!

I am very new to guitar, just got my first acostic guitar (epiphone) for christmas and i am planning to start learning. Eventually I want to move to electric.

Is it possible to learn from the internet ? Or you have to join a music institute and take lessons ?

Hope to learn lot of things from experts on this forum.

Thanks in advance.
Flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #2
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Hi Flyby, welcome in. Yes there are ton of good sites on the Web and youtube is one of the good ones. There are several really good sites that very inexpensive and fun to learn from. Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Nelmarticus

Nelmarticus Just getting started

I’ve used the internet to learn songs, for tablature, all sorts of great resources.
I also Highly recommend The Yousician App for iOS/Android, It has helped me tremendously. It has a free trial, but it does cost money after that. But, well worth it in my opinion. I also use The Learn and Master The Guitar: DVD series Taught by Steve Krentz. I personally think the app is better for skill practice and judging your ability, and in combination with the lessons it provides is a better all around package, however the lessons provided by the Learn and Master series, are top notch. Steve is an amazing player and teacher. Note: I do not work for nor am I endorsed by either of these products, I just use them and highly recommend them.
Nelmarticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby View Post
I am very new to guitar, just got my first acostic guitar (epiphone) for christmas and i am planning to start learning. Eventually I want to move to electric.

Is it possible to learn from the internet ? Or you have to join a music institute and take lessons ?

Hope to learn lot of things from experts on this forum.

Thanks in advance.
Where you from?
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Look up some guitar chords and start playing them. What kind of music do you like?
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:18 AM   #6
Flyby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmarticus View Post
Iíve used the internet to learn songs, for tablature, all sorts of great resources.
I also Highly recommend The Yousician App for iOS/Android, It has helped me tremendously. It has a free trial, but it does cost money after that. But, well worth it in my opinion. I also use The Learn and Master The Guitar: DVD series Taught by Steve Krentz. I personally think the app is better for skill practice and judging your ability, and in combination with the lessons it provides is a better all around package, however the lessons provided by the Learn and Master series, are top notch. Steve is an amazing player and teacher. Note: I do not work for nor am I endorsed by either of these products, I just use them and highly recommend them.
I installed Youcisian app and liking it so far. I also got the beginner guitar CD along with the package, I need to check that out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
Where you from?
Washington, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
Look up some guitar chords and start playing them. What kind of music do you like?
Will check out the chords, I like to listen to metal and rock.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
Flyby

any recommendations for a beginner book ?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:49 PM   #8
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Highly recommend "Guitar Theory For Dummies". A very good book with online video reference.