Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 01-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
ThePlowKing

ThePlowKing Just getting started
Default How to restring a Hohner Revelation RTS Wilkinson?

This is possibly the most embarrassing question I've ever had to ask in my 31 years of guitar playing and 10 years of luthiery, but here goes...

I recently bought an original ('90s) Hohner Revelation RTS on eBay, and naturally the first order of the day was a complete restring and setup. However, all is not going well, because I can't work out how to get the old strings off! Before anyone cries "Noob", please bear in mind that I've strung multiple types of tremolos, including Floyds, Kahlers, Steinbergers, and all of the regulars. But this Wilkinson has me stumped. I've literally removed all screws from the saddle and the block (obviously except for the fulcrum screws and the ones holding the spring claw onto the body!) - but none of the strings will release from the block.

The guitar is reverse-strung, with the ball ends in contact with the tuners, so there's CLEARLY something wedging them into the bridge itself, but I can't see what's going on or find any useful information about this via Google or Wilkinson's/Hohner's sites.

Anyone? Help! I'd really like to get this sorted out without having to replace the bridge! :O

Last edited by ThePlowKing; 01-10-2018 at 02:34 PM.
ThePlowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Interesting... if your Wilkinson is like this...

I have the same thing. I string it like a usual bridge, from behind the guitar through the block, out of the bridge, to the tuner (I have locking tuners), and that's it. Or maybe, I am stringing it wrong too!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
ThePlowKing

ThePlowKing Just getting started

I'm aware that the Wilkinson can be strung either way around, so you're not doing it wrong - I'm just unsure how to get the strings out, because even with every screw I can remove gone, the strings are still stuck fast.
ThePlowKing is offline   Reply With Quote