Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 12-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose

I also know bands like bassists who can 'hold it down' - Essentially what Keith said.
EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss OD-1E, EHX Holy Grail Nano,
Diddly Bo (handmade), DD7.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDancer View Post
Keith and Mr Reems have it pretty well covered, but I would add really good timing. The bands I really like tend to have a great drummer/bassist rhythm going on. Simple things like in Addicted to pain by Alter Bridge. Bassist plays a single note to the one kick part of the beat, then doubles the notes when it's two kicks from the drummer.
Another great point, Rain.

Timing is essential, but there are times where playing behind or in front of the beat makes the tune.

My biggest downfall playing the Bass, is that I tend to be just slightly behind the beat. I know I'm doing it, and it's not on purpose, it's just the way I play, and I'm always working on getting the perfect beat, but being a guitarist as a primary for 34 years, playing ahead or behind the beat was never an issue when everything is mixed in, but with playing the Bass with a simple drum track alone, I can REALLY hear the misses.

Srinivassa..Can you do a recording of your Bass playing?.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

I look for the same thing I look on a drummer, chemistry. I've been on the 3 ends, guitarist, bassist and drummer. All ends must have rhythm and tempo, but besides that which is essential for any musician, the most important part IMO is the chemistry between the members of a band. I've played with many musicians, some great some not so much, others even virtuosos. Never been able to connect with any virtuoso. Once I played with this drummer and bassist who were just excellent musicians. The bassist was almost like having Flea himself in front of me, he could play that thing as if it was part of himself. The drummer was also a huge musician who ended touring with Daddy Yankee for a whole year. I could never get the hang of any of any of them, nor together or individually.

On the other hand I've played in most of my bands with these two guys, bassist and drummer, with whom I do have that chemistry I look for. Non of them is an outstanding musician, still good players. It was as we all thought the same thing at the same time and the music flowed just naturally. Rehearsals were always short and effective and gigs were great most of the times, regardless of the singer we had or music style. We even ended having a hit on the local radio in one of the bands we had together.

So I would say it's chemistry what I look for on any band mate.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Mental stability and sobriety.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstringplayer View Post
Mental stability and sobriety.
He's looking for a bass player, not a wife.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
srinivassa
Confirmed Bachelor

srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I dig what a lot of you are saying. I'll have to hand out some karma.

One thing seems to be that it is very very subtle. I could play a lot and not get some of those subtle fills and beats. It's stylistic too. There may be just a sense of not gelling with the band that I will just have to conquer by continuing to try out. Chemistry can't really be practiced.

In fundamentals, I probably do play behind the beat a lot because I play by ear, and I don't always know the next note until I hear where the music goes. Practicing to get on top of the beat and know where I'm going sounds like it would be advisable.

I'm glad no one said they wanted a virtuoso so far. That is one thing I did not want to practice on. Just seems like useless overhead for being able to play super-fast when you don't need to.
srinivassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
srinivassa
Confirmed Bachelor

srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Yeah, I dig, Paul. I guess it works out where I am not so great a bass player, so I don't get picked up anywhere. At least I know what to practice if I want to get back in the game. Some of those subtle techniques, I've learned from experience, take a LOT of practice. Overall, just knowing the tunes better so I stay on top of the beat, is going to be my major sticking point. Fills and subtlety may end up being a bit beyond me. I should get some basic skill though. I don't want to just drone on boringly and not advance the rythm of the song.

I could do a recording, but I'm not sure I could get something that was representative of how I sound at a try-out. I'm not even sure what I do sound like at a try-out. If someone recorded it, I might be surprised with how bad I sound. Playing along with a song is how I practice, but then if I record that, it will not be the same thing as a try-out. It could expose obvious flaws, but then again, I'll probably practice it several times before I record it.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivassa View Post
Yeah, I dig, Paul. I guess it works out where I am not so great a bass player, so I don't get picked up anywhere. At least I know what to practice if I want to get back in the game. Some of those subtle techniques, I've learned from experience, take a LOT of practice. Overall, just knowing the tunes better so I stay on top of the beat, is going to be my major sticking point. Fills and subtlety may end up being a bit beyond me. I should get some basic skill though. I don't want to just drone on boringly and not advance the rythm of the song.

I could do a recording, but I'm not sure I could get something that was representative of how I sound at a try-out. I'm not even sure what I do sound like at a try-out. If someone recorded it, I might be surprised with how bad I sound. Playing along with a song is how I practice, but then if I record that, it will not be the same thing as a try-out. It could expose obvious flaws, but then again, I'll probably practice it several times before I record it.
Could you not get a jam track for bass and play along like you would at an audition and record yourself?
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
srinivassa
Confirmed Bachelor

Yeah, I could do something jam-worthy. I am mostly trying out for cover bands of 90s grunge/alt rock, so a jam track will be not exactly what I'm going for. It will force me to improvise more, but it would give some general sense of how I play. I may try to slam some bass into that backing track I did the blues guitar on. That might be fun. I'm far from an expert with jam tracks or recording though, so there's that factor. I'll get you guys something to listen to, since everyone has been a good sport in my thread.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
jtees4

jtees4 has disabled reputation

I'm old. But in the old days, if you owned a PA you were in.
jtees4 is offline   Reply With Quote