Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 12-18-2013, 03:56 AM   #21
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

A lot of times it seems like people are either looking for either Les Claypool or whoever is playing with AC/DC right now – no in between.

The trick, really, is finding people you have chemistry with. If there's chemistry and you enjoy playing together, everything else will come along and find it's place. If not, well, then there's work to be done.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
static

static has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstringplayer View Post
Mental stability and sobriety.

Don't think I've ever met a musician that was mentally stable.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #23
Thumpalumpacus
Carlinist

Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies

Here's what I love in a bassist:

1) Know where the One is, all the time. Never lose the groove, unless the songwriter explicitly asks for that as an effect.

2) Listen to the other musicians in the band.

3) Using your listening, and remembering where the One is, place your fills to move the song forward.

4) Save the drinking for after the rehearsal or gig. (Goes for all musicians).

5) Bring in songs of your own.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 AM   #24
Island Eddie
pure of heart, dim of wit

Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post

1) Know where the One is, all the time. Never lose the groove, unless the songwriter explicitly asks for that as an effect.

3) Using your listening, and remembering where the One is, place your fills to move the song forward.

This is a good list of criteria, and would work for myself as well.

" You have you experience to believe in the pleasures of a heated toilet seat."

-Bun E. Carlos
Island Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 AM   #25
srinivassa
Confirmed Bachelor

srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking srinivassa The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post

I've got 1, 2, and 4. I guess I know what I have to work on.
srinivassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #26
Hammo25

Hammo25 Just getting started

What! You guys have managed to find real bass players?
Hammo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #27
static

static has disabled reputation

You can get a lot by seeing what their gear is.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 AM   #28
Richhie-stringsx
Banned

Location: Europe, if we need to narrow that down a bit then the UK, in the North, where it's nice.
Richhie-stringsx Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivassa View Post
I have been on the bass player end of this transaction a few times. I don't get the gig, but I don't really get feedback from people. Any of you on the other side of the fence, band looking for a bass player? What do I work on if I want to get a gig?
Dude, seriously now, you and I are going to have to have a serious man-to-man chat about things in general. Life is going badly wrong somewhere when you can't even nail the gig with a bass in your mits! Bass players and drummers always get the gig, they're in demand everywhere, I mean that's often why people switch to bass to make sure they land a gig, guitarists are all over the place, and really good ones too, guitarists have to be seriously good to get hired, but normally walk in with a half decent bass under your arm and your hired. Bill Wyman got hired by the Stones not for his bass playing, but because he owned a AC30, the audition part is normally over once it's ascertained you have two arms and a bass and amp (ok I am joking just before anyone get's misconceived, I thought I had laid the humour on fairly thick but one never knows and words convey less than the spoken word).

Seriously though, trying to offer some constructive advice. OK then, here's my advice on:

How to land a plum bass playing gig by: (Some comedian who's never played a bass in his life apart from the one time he made a twat of himself trying to play one when he went to buy a Strat. So well qualified then).

Before I get started with my sage words I should also like to add my vote to the get a van advice. That's actually really good advice, you do find that people with lots of equipment always have a gig somewhere. It doesn't matter if it's something like a van or sound and lighting gear. Generally the more you've got the more likely to get the gig you are, and least likely to get the sack come line-up change time (we can't sack him, it's his PA and mixing desk, we need him).

Ok my advice. Have you thought it maybe is nothing at all to do with your playing? Your playing might be spot on, it could be an image thing. Are you for instance auditioning for heavy metal bands but turning up in a silk suit and a beret (ok bad example but it's all I can think of), if so then I advise tailoring your image to the type of audition you're going for, so, heavy metal band, get yourself, a long wig, stick on moustache, mirror sun glasses, leather jacket, and finally a bass with a pointy headstock. OK, get the idea? So, try out these changes and let us know how you got on. I bet next thing we hear is you've landed bass playing duties with Ozzy.
Richhie-stringsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #29
Island Eddie
pure of heart, dim of wit

Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia

Have you tried breathing fire, cutting yourself with a razor blade while performing or possibly dropping dead while onstage...?

Those things have all worked for bass players in the past....

" You have you experience to believe in the pleasures of a heated toilet seat."

-Bun E. Carlos
Island Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #30
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

flake_E_lee Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That's a prime example Harry.

As a bassist, less is more, more is less. Knowing when to walk the bass line and knowing when to stay back in the groove is key.

If the guitars are busy, keep the pocket and keep it simple. The guitarists are doing what they do, so support the track.

If the guitars aren't, fill the gap and have the guitars support the bass line.
That sums it up well keith.
I myself started on bass in a 3 piece band(guitar,bass,drums) so I was the main rythmn section.I played the thing throwing in bass runs in weak sectors of the song.The secret is to know your fretboard on bass and get those big runs flowing when needed.
A great example of a bassist in where the bass is such a vast part is motorhead.