Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 02-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
Thumpalumpacus
Carlinist

Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies

Those SDGR basses are great values.

As for amps, when I had my last paying gig -- bass in a blues band back in SoCal -- I went out and got a used Peavey TKO 115 combo for about $100. Great amp, onboard graphic EQ, 200w 1x15. Also picked up a DI box for larger gigs; I used the amp as a stage monitor and sent the DI to the mains.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
Reverse Flash

Reverse Flash Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Yup, yours has the 8".
http://www.roland.ca/products/cube-20gx/

• 20-watt guitar amp with custom-designed 8-inch speaker
  • Three channels: JC CLEAN, LEAD (six different types), and SOLO
  • SOLO channel is fully programmable, allowing you to save and recall JC CLEAN or LEAD sound type plus EQ and effects settings
  • Three independent effects sections: EFX (five types), DELAY, and REVERB
  • Hands-free channel switching with optional BOSS FS-5U or FS-6 footswitches
  • i-CUBE LINK jack provides simple audio interfacing with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (interface cable included)
  • Free CUBE JAM app for iOS plays songs and minus-one jam tracks, and lets you record the CUBE-20GX’s tones along with music playback
  • Three-band EQ; built-in chromatic/manual tuner
  • RECORDING OUT/PHONES jack for silent practice and direct recording

That's what it says, but it seems about as long as a ruler and not only 8".

I would only use an amp for practising though, and not for an actual gig. If I were to play in public, it would be plugged in through a sound system.
Reverse Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I had the TNT 130. Loved that amp, but at 80 pounds, it was a bitch to move.

These days, it's a Carvin BX500 into a Peavey TX410 and a TVX 210.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #14
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flash View Post
That's what it says, but it seems about as long as a ruler and not only 8".

I would only use an amp for practising though, and not for an actual gig. If I were to play in public, it would be plugged in through a sound system.
It sounds like you're looking at the basket diameter. For an 8" speaker the diameter of the basket lip is going to roughly be about 10".

Take the grill off and measure the cone from inside to inside.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #15
hippychip
Banned

hippychip Just getting started

I am also a guitar player who wanted to get a bass just to noodle around on---I picked up this Yamaha RBX-170 (the red one) at a garage sale for $35 and it came with a stand, and a brand new set of strings (GHS Bass Boomers) A bass player friend of mine offered me $100 for it, and I was strapped for cash at the time, so I sold it Oh, well, I still have my RBX-300 to noodle on. His expensive Fender now sits in the case, and he gigs with the Yamaha because he likes it better! Give Yamaha a look!
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #16
Reverse Flash

Quote:
It sounds like you're looking at the basket diameter. For an 8" speaker the diameter of the basket lip is going to roughly be about 10".

Take the grill off and measure the cone from inside to inside.
Ok thanks. How do you find playing the Ibanez without a scratch board on it?

I'll take a look at Yamaha as well. I still have a while to decide exactly what I want to get, but like to think about things far in advance to do the proper research.

I think I would have to get black or some other colour, as I already have a red and white electric guitar. I don't really want a wood-coloured bass, and white probably will get dirty.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #17
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flash View Post
Ok thanks. How do you find playing the Ibanez without a scratch board on it?
About the same with one. There is really no difference.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #18
Thumpalumpacus
Carlinist

Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies

Quote:
I had the TNT 130. Loved that amp, but at 80 pounds, it was a bitch to move.

These days, it's a Carvin BX500 into a Peavey TX410 and a TVX 210.
Yep. I used a dolly.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #19
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

+1 on the Yamaha here, I got an RBX170 at GC new for $129 and its built like a tank and sounds fine to my ear.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #20
Reverse Flash

Is the Ibanez GSR200 something people would recommend buying from Amazon? I can't seem to see it to try in person in the guitar shops I've searched for in the UK. If they had to order one in specifically, I would probably have to buy it.