Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #21
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I know there are some great tips and suggestions in here already. I have a Squier Jaguar Bass that I'll probably never part with. I'm no expert on bass guitars (or any guitars for that matter), but for my money, it's a quality piece of wood and steel. I just love the feel of a Jaguar body, it's a very ergonomic body design.
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #22
Reverse Flash

Reverse Flash Just getting started

Regarding the bass amp, I have a Roland KC 300 Keyboard amp. It's 100 watts and is a 12" speaker and is pretty powerful. Would I be able to use a bass guitar with that rather than purchasing a new bass amp? If I can just use what I already have, that would be better. I doubt I would be really adding many effects to the bass, if at all, and I don't really have anymore room for another amp.
Reverse Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #23
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Yes, you could use this as a Bass amp. Just be sure not to crank it up using the Bass. I've read that the horn has a tendency to crap out at high volumes.

Leave your EQ neutral and adjust as needed at first.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:29 AM   #24
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgsByte View Post
+1 on the Yamaha here, I got an RBX170 at GC new for $129 and its built like a tank and sounds fine to my ear.
I don't own one but I've really liked every one I've tried.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #25
Reverse Flash

Has anyone actually bought the Ibanez online without trying it in a store in person? Is that recommended at all if it has a return/ cooling off period?

I don't see any guitar shops near me that seem to stock this in order for me to try it out.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:44 AM   #26
genesaika

genesaika The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking genesaika The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking genesaika The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking genesaika The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking genesaika The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking genesaika The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Ill suggest a P/J configuration, they offer more range of sounds and just sound good.

A squier bass would be great to start on, or an ibanez, basically the normal brands you see recommended for guitar offer a bass that is also recommended. I would suggest trying to get your hands on that model and see if it suits you. The necks on basses can be less forgiving of comfort than a guitars neck.

Over all I pick a bass the same way I do a guitar. Find it, play it, ask questions, then buy it. In the end you are different from all of us, you might completely hate that ibanez or a squier or even a Warwick, you just have to play them and see.
Bc rich style bass
genesaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #27
Reverse Flash

Does anyone know anything about the Ibanez TMB100-BK Talman Bass (Black)? Is it a higher or lower spec model than the Ibanez GSR200-BK (Black)? Which one is the better model? The Talman TMB100-BK seems to have a pick guard whereas the GSR200 doesn't.

Anyone know about this?

Old 06-16-2016, 12:49 AM   #28
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

flake_E_lee Just getting started

I recently picked my bass again after around 20years of it gathering dust.
I used to play bass in the early days and still kept my bass.I bought it used in 1993 in a local shop for 75(it was about a 20 year old bass when i got it so its maybe 40 year old bass now).I have repainted it since then,something i wish i hadnt done but recently i gave it a full overhaul and its still the best bass ive played even though its a p bass copy with no name.Heres a photo of me with said bass circa 1995
[IMG][/IMG]
Now...im not a rep for this brand of guitar but based on personal experience as i own one of this firms guitars,try the vintage brand of bass guitar. They will be pretty cheap to buy but if they are as good as their guitars,should be of a high standard
http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintage-bass-guitars/
Another brand I have seen,and,i really like the look of them is Retrovibe bass guitars,especially their rickenbacker copy
http://www.retrovibe.co.uk/vantage/black.html
Regarding amps,recently I picked up this cab and head for like 60 used and it runs fine
[IMG][/IMG]
I would definetley research "Vintage" bass guitars as their electric guitars are very high standard equipment for very little money and I would expect their basses to be of the same standard
And if your intrested,heres a short vid of me on my 40 year old un named bass.I have even had it pulled to bits to find a brand name on this thing but zero.Doesent even say a country of origin
Bass video

Last edited by flake_E_lee; 06-16-2016 at 01:13 AM.
flake_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #29
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flash View Post
Regarding the bass amp, I have a Roland KC 300 Keyboard amp. It's 100 watts and is a 12" speaker and is pretty powerful. Would I be able to use a bass guitar with that rather than purchasing a new bass amp? If I can just use what I already have, that would be better. I doubt I would be really adding many effects to the bass, if at all, and I don't really have anymore room for another amp.
You could use a Behringer BDI21 with your keyboard amp! I got mine for $29.99 through Sweetwater. But I'm not a bass player, so I am not qualified to give you the best advice.

I have been wanting a bass to noodle on. One day I went into a GC and found a $59.99 cheapo Lyon 5-string bass. I plugged it into a Gallien Krueger and that cheap bass sounded awesome! When I got home and plugged it into my PA, it didn't sound nice. I found out about the Behringer BDI21bass amp simulator and thought it would be better than a costlier bass amp. It is only $29.99 at Sweetwater. When I got it, I was very pleased! It niw sounds close that Gallien that I tries my cheapo bass on.

Last edited by littlebadboy; 06-18-2016 at 01:04 PM.
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #30
Apfelnatalia
Music Lover & Blogger

Apfelnatalia Just getting started

Hm I don't think bass guitar or guitars in general need to be fancy, not until you can play well and it's about the sound

I've got myself a no name bass and was pretty happy so far. Also I've heard Ibanez basses are great to start with. Easy to play.
Apfelnatalia is offline   Reply With Quote