Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 11-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing
Default Possible NBD

I'm putting in bids for a bought-new-in-1991 Aria Pro II XRB 2A CB.

I've never tried out one before, and from I've read, they are great players, but I'm not big on active pups.

As it sits with the auction, my bid of $80 is stable for the moment and the auction ends tonight at 8pm, so I'm hoping that no one else bids, but I'll go as far as $100 if someone does.

Has anyone owned/used one before?
Old 11-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Haven't owned that bass...BUT I'll put my nickels' worth in RE: active p'ups...

I own a pretty yummy Peavey Cirrus w/active p'ups and active 3-band EQ w/parametric mid. It's my first bass w/active, after 3-4 passive p'up basses.

PRO's: sounds freekin' killer. Incredibility tonal capabilities, and my gear takes this bass signal and makes it sound better than any of the previous basses I've had.

CON'S: I freeking HATE having to put 9V batt's in it - they actually last pretty well, but of course when I'm gigging/playing regularly, it's necessary to ALWAYS have reasonably fresh batt's in it.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
I own a pretty yummy Peavey Cirrus w/active p'ups and active 3-band EQ w/parametric mid. It's my first bass w/active, after 3-4 passive p'up basses.

PRO's: sounds freekin' killer. Incredibility tonal capabilities, and my gear takes this bass signal and makes it sound better than any of the previous basses I've had.

CON'S: I freeking HATE having to put 9V batt's in it - they actually last pretty well, but of course when I'm gigging/playing regularly, it's necessary to ALWAYS have reasonably fresh batt's in it.
Word. I'm finding that, say, my EMG preamps don't sound particularly good to my ear (though they add some pretty powerful EQ options) but there are some fantastic sounding on-board bass preamps out there and when I was gigging they were incredibly useful.

Keith, if it turns out you don't like the preamp but feel like sticking with active for some reason, my current prototype sounds pretty damn good; I'd be happy to PIF you a PCB and schematic/bill of materials.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Cool looking bass, but ugh that guitar stand has got to go!!! . The horrible rubber on those reacted with the finish on my strat many moons ago and left marks. Thankfully somebody smartened up and discontinued those stands.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:32 AM   #5
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I got the Bass for the $80 that I offered and picked it up at 6pm today.

When I got it home and started to have a look at it, there were only 3 minor concerns (2 that have been dealt with)

The stamp on the fretboard on the 21st fret is 91 26 8, so that rules out it being MIJ and it's MIK. I was kinda hoping MIJ.

From the concave on the neck, and that the tuning was a 1/2 step up, the action was pretty high from the 5th to the 15th. I torqued the truss and the neck moved decently, but I reached the stop point and the neck was still concaved, so off went the strings and unbolted the neck to settle for about a week under full rod tension and a 1/4 pound wrap. I have a humidifier set up in the basement bathroom set to 68%, so that will/should help with re-bending the neck backwards.

The frets were great but needed a polishing and I won't know about leveling until I can get the neck dead straight.

Other than that, the guitar cleaned up pretty good, only one small nick on the headstock and the labels on the pups are worn a bit.

When I hooked it up to my POD using a mono cable, on active, it sounded super muddy, but when I took out the battery, it sounded damn good (Go figure).

I'm going to spend some time tomorrow tracing the wiring.

This is an odd one for me. It has a 3 way toggle with an active on/off mini.

The volume clicks off, and it has what I have learned, a blender switch (Mid cut/boost?)

Thanks for the offer, Ape. I got this for as low as possible, but I just may end up flipping for a trade or a few bucks more.

If I'm going to keep it, I'll pull the guts out, sell them and go passive from scratch with new everything.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Nice looking bass.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote