Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 01-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
Tony_Nebula

Tony_Nebula Just getting started
I don't have one but I loved MTV unplugged. So if I ever had a use for one I would get one. Lots of people here are shelling out the 2k for a double bass aka standup. I don't know, the tone from those you cant really beat.
Tony_Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

I have a Michael Kelly Club bass but the only acoustic bass guitar I've ever really loved was the Epiphone El Capitan. Other than that, a double bass is where it's at.

There's good ones out there but when you're looking at acoustic bass guitars it's usually more of a compromise than anything else. Either figure out what compromise you're happy with or pony up $2K for the real deal.

Or stay electric. Your call.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #13
guitarbob
bob from Nashville

guitarbob Just getting started
Default Ibanez

I have an Ibanez artcore acoustic bass. Sounds pretty good, especially after I replaced the round wounds with a set of flat wounds. I, too, prefer fretless. I actually play fretless quite often (Yamaha BB300) so I'm familiar with it. I also get a chance, now and again, to play my doghouse (upright) bass. That's truly an acoustic bass.
Other brands worth looking at in your price range would be Epiphone (El Capitan) and Fender. Good luck.
guitarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #14
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

I've never played one that sounded great. I have a Dean acoustic bass that sounds OK. Thing is, the bodies just aren't large enough to resonate at that frequency, so you take what you can get unless you want an upright. There's a reason those things are HUGE!
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote