Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 08-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default How do I make my frets glide again?

I've been neglecting one of my guitars. Haven't changed the stri gs since early this year. I tried playing it and doing bends doesn't glide anymore. How do I make it nice again?

Thanks!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:15 AM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Take the strings off. If the fret board seems dry,(assuming you don't have a Maple fret board) you might want to put a SMALL amount of lemon oil on the fret board and then use Jewelers rouge to polish the frets to a mirror finish. Then put new strings on it.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Thank you Mr. PKVeazey! Went to Wal-Mart, but they didn't have any jewelers rogue. I'll try Harbor Freight tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Thank you Mr. PKVeazey! Went to Wal-Mart, but they didn't have any jewelers rogue. I'll try Harbor Freight tomorrow.
You can go to the autoparts store and get some Mothers metal polish. It works just as well but you'll need to do it by hand and its white so some of the residue might show up in the fret board. I use jewelers rouge(dark like the fret board) and a Dremel tool and it just touches the frets.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
The.Duck

The.Duck Just getting started

A Scotchbrite pad and lemon oil, FastFret or similar light oil will work wonders. With no chance of damaging your fret board.
The.Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
You can go to the autoparts store and get some Mothers metal polish.
I agree with everything you've posted in this thread except the Mothers Metal Polish. It definitely DOES work (and will do a great job, at that), but it can leave a white residue in the grain of dark (rosewood/ebony) fingerboards. It does work great on lacquered (maple) fingerboards though.

I've used Nevr Dull wadding on my frets for the last number of years with great results, assuming the frets are not extremely corroded or pitted. Polishes them up to a mirror shine, and it leaves no residue at all.
Nevr Dull seems to have some sort of thin oil basis to it, so I use lemon oil on my (rosewood or ebony) fretboards after polishing the frets.
Works great.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

IMO, unless the frets show signs of gunkiness, the metal polish isn't necessary. I use "lemon oil" and a cotton cloth once a year on my ebony and rosewood fretboards.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Clean the strings or stick a new set on maybe?.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
littlebadboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
Clean the strings or stick a new set on maybe?.
Yes sir, string change is on the to-do-list today too!
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

...And no one has suggested taping the fretboard on both sides of the fret to keep residue off...it only takes two peices and you do one fret at a time...jus me.