Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Jam Clinic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
old geezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 417
old geezer Just getting started
Default

[QUOTE=AlyKat;675043]I have been working on alternate picking & tried to use it a lot on this track. Let me warn you, it's not the best but I'm trying hard to get this down. I like the tone, I tried for a few unusual notes but it's pretty much just my usual stuff. I'm torn about posting this, I hate to post stuff that is really bad. Slim?

https://app.box.com/s/29f5zckfqbo07cvubfzcvivj6p0v7gfr[/QUO
Hi Aly David Gilmour used to note the ideas down that were working in solos like comfortably numb. And dropping the ideas that were not. Your jam has many of those element going on. The faster fluid stuff you did was great. liked it a lot.

I think it did two things, it forced your timing to pep up. And rid those sections of any bad notes or indecision. Lifting it quite considerably I thought.

But of course you cant overdo that kind of fast stuff. But i certainly think you could use those faster flurrys much more, If you could work on just a few nice notes to finish the flurrys off ( not sure what else to call them )

I reckon you could get a great style out of that. Did you not think the same when you played it back. the faster runs were damn excellent. Especially at the end. Its stuff I don't do, and I like it. Was it a chromatic run ? it sounded like it. kind of like a Santana chromatic run. That was your most natural side coming out right there
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #12
AlyKat
Collab Queen
 
AlyKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Middle Of Nowhere
Posts: 8,424
AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies
Default

[QUOTE=old geezer;675195]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
I have been working on alternate picking & tried to use it a lot on this track. Let me warn you, it's not the best but I'm trying hard to get this down. I like the tone, I tried for a few unusual notes but it's pretty much just my usual stuff. I'm torn about posting this, I hate to post stuff that is really bad. Slim?

https://app.box.com/s/29f5zckfqbo07cvubfzcvivj6p0v7gfr[/QUO
Hi Aly David Gilmour used to note the ideas down that were working in solos like comfortably numb. And dropping the ideas that were not. Your jam has many of those element going on. The faster fluid stuff you did was great. liked it a lot.

I think it did two things, it forced your timing to pep up. And rid those sections of any bad notes or indecision. Lifting it quite considerably I thought.

But of course you cant overdo that kind of fast stuff. But i certainly think you could use those faster flurrys much more, If you could work on just a few nice notes to finish the flurrys off ( not sure what else to call them )

I reckon you could get a great style out of that. Did you not think the same when you played it back. the faster runs were damn excellent. Especially at the end. Its stuff I don't do, and I like it. Was it a chromatic run ? it sounded like it. kind of like a Santana chromatic run. That was your most natural side coming out right there
Just going for it at warp speed does not allow you to think & ponder note choices that is for sure. There were a couple things that I really liked & some that were not too bad but like you said, it needed to be resolved properly ( I think that is the correct term to use).

I wouldn't know a chromatic run if it leaped up & bit me, lol.

This is my natural side & it's dying to come out but too bad my hands don't cooperate more

Thanks for listening & for the feedback, every little bit helps.
__________________
I always tell the truth, even when I lie.
AlyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
BallisticSquid
Senior Member
 
BallisticSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9,155
BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies
Default

This BT is awesome...I may have to carve out some time for this myself...once my homework is done .

Nice job Aly!! Those little fast runs came out of nowhere...wasn't expecting that. Sounded good! Very different from other stuff you have done...I like it!

I'll reiterate what Slim said...alternate picking may help with speed, but it's really a way to be more efficient in playing.

I alternate pick the way I strum chords. Strumming you are going up and down...perhaps I'll accent a downstrum or an upstrum. I do exactly the same thing in my alternate picking...and doing it that way it give is a natural sounding flow. What you do that with all down picks, it can sound more forced or choppy...just like if you do all downstrums on chords.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #14
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth
 
Abo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ayr Scotland
Posts: 5,965
Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal
Default

Here is a take on this i done the other night but didnt get it uploaded

https://soundcloud.com/abokerr/slims-groovy-by-abo
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #15
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back
 
ronpfid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,291
ronpfid Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
Here is a take on this i done the other night but didnt get it uploaded

https://soundcloud.com/abokerr/slims-groovy-by-abo
cool, nice take, great tone too!
__________________
---------------------------------
Be the string
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #16
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth
 
Abo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ayr Scotland
Posts: 5,965
Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal
Default

Thanks Ron I used the bias app on my iPad just guitar to iPad to daw. Think I added reverb and a touch of delay on pro tools which I am clueless on
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
Jase
Principe del Galles
 
Jase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wales.
Posts: 18,444
Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
Thanks Ron I used the bias app on my iPad just guitar to iPad to daw. Think I added reverb and a touch of delay on pro tools which I am clueless on
Nice to hear you again mate. I thought here we go full wank, but nice n measured lol.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth
 
Abo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ayr Scotland
Posts: 5,965
Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal
Default

Lol
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #19
Hi Hat
Senior Member
 
Hi Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: By the snare drum
Posts: 2,481
Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default

Nice work, Abo. Sounds good.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #20
AlyKat
Collab Queen
 
AlyKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Middle Of Nowhere
Posts: 8,424
AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies
Default

Nice one, Abo !
__________________
I always tell the truth, even when I lie.
AlyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Competition | Piano Lessons