Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Jam Clinic

Old 11-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #21
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
It's that, that has me say WTF?

I have to really think about this a minute & then I am going to try Am pent & see what happens......hummmmmm..........thanks for the feedback.

The notes you speak of & those outside the box still sound like wrong notes to me & I think I subconsciously avoid them because of that. Anyway, I'm plugging away at all this & I felt this was a pretty good effort. Thanks for noticing
Quote:
Well butter my buns & call me a biscuit, Am Pent works!! Dm pent too(kinda)-I see what you mean now after experimenting-some notes work & some are "off".

I am not even going to ask why Am pent works......that's for another day
I think you may be interpreting "outside the box" differently. When I say "outside the box," I mean literally outside the pent box to include scale tones, from the parent scale which is just 2 more notes.

The D dorian scale has the the same notes as a C major scale, D,E,F,G,A,B,C- it's just that it's rooted on D, and the harmonic movement of the chords, in this case, Dm-G7, is what gives it the modal flavor.

To keep things simple, you can play the D minor pent scale, which has the notes: D F G A C. What's in the A minor pent scale? A C D E G- if you combine all the notes in the A min pent, and the D min pent, you effectively have the notes to the D Dorian scale: D E F G A C- what's missing is the B natural, which is a pretty important note in Dorian, since D to B is the major 6th scale, which pretty much points to the Dorian sound.

I'm tired of relying on tricks, and slowly learning how music works, which gives more to work with. Using Box 1 is really limiting in the long run.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #22
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I think you may be interpreting "outside the box" differently. When I say "outside the box," I mean literally outside the pent box to include scale tones, from the parent scale which is just 2 more notes.

The D dorian scale has the the same notes as a C major scale, D,E,F,G,A,B,C- it's just that it's rooted on D, and the harmonic movement of the chords, in this case, Dm-G7, is what gives it the modal flavor.

To keep things simple, you can play the D minor pent scale, which has the notes: D F G A C. What's in the A minor pent scale? A C D E G- if you combine all the notes in the A min pent, and the D min pent, you effectively have the notes to the D Dorian scale: D E F G A C- what's missing is the B natural, which is a pretty important note in Dorian, since D to B is the major 6th scale, which pretty much points to the Dorian sound.

I'm tired of relying on tricks, and slowly learning how music works, which gives more to work with. Using Box 1 is really limiting in the long run.

So am I wrong to assume that if I use most of Am pent & some of Dm pent but throw in a B note in once in a while that will make it Dorian?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #23
Mad Goose

Mad Goose Just getting started

Quote:
Here's my first go. I just went a bit higher gain. Aly, I bent 1/4, 1/2, and a minor 3rd in some spots. You can tell me if I'm out of tune- I know I hit some clams- lessee if anyone notices.
What can I say slim, if that was your first take, I cant wait to hear what you have in store for us. Clams or not!
Mad Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #24
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
So am I wrong to assume that if I use most of Am pent & some of Dm pent but throw in a B note in once in a while that will make it Dorian?
All the notes in either pent wouldn't be wrong, because the D dorian scale is exactly the same as the pents combined, but missing the B natural.

Looked at another way, D dorian is the C major scale, starting on C.

It's note choices too, and why I've slowed down a lot. The B work naturally over the G7 because there's already a B in G7. Would it work over Dm? There's an A in Dm, and playing a B over it, may sound kind of odd. Try it. Play a D minor chord, and drone a B over, or under it. Does it sound off? If you're hanging on the B it might; if you kinda rip past it, might not.

Instead of looking at the A min pent as a separate thing, think of it as part of the D dorian, A minor, and C major scales.

You can also use the C MAJOR pent. Why?

Old 11-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #25
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Goose View Post
What can I say slim, if that was your first take, I cant wait to hear what you have in store for us. Clams or not!
Thanks, Goose. Yeah, that's my general approach. Just hit record. But that last thing in A minor, I was totally confused.

In some ways, a 2 chord vamp can be more difficult, but it's a good exercise for me, since I've been working on modal playing.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #26
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
All the notes in either pent wouldn't be wrong, because the D dorian scale is exactly the same as the pents combined, but missing the B natural.

Looked at another way, D dorian is the C major scale, starting on C.

It's note choices too, and why I've slowed down a lot. The B work naturally over the G7 because there's already a B in G7. Would it work over Dm? There's an A in Dm, and playing a B over it, may sound kind of odd. Try it. Play a D minor chord, and drone a B over, or under it. Does it sound off? If you're hanging on the B it might; if you kinda rip past it, might not.

Instead of looking at the A min pent as a separate thing, think of it as part of the D dorian, A minor, and C major scales.

You can also use the C MAJOR pent. Why?
I think I know the answer to this one....Cmajor pent works because Am pent is it's relative minor. If I passed this test, you are buying dinner
Old 11-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #27
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
I think I know the answer to this one....Cmajor pent works because Am pent is it's relative minor. If I passed this test, you are buying dinner
Not quite. While A minor is the relative minor of C major, C major pent has the same notes as A minor pent. ::brrrp:: partial points.

A minor pentatonic: A C D E G A
C major pentatonic: C D E G A

Old 11-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #28
AlyKat
Collab Queen

Quote:
Not quite. While A minor is the relative minor of C major, C major pent has the same notes as A minor pent. ::brrrp:: partial points.

A minor pentatonic: A C D E G A
C major pentatonic: C D E G A

::brrp:: Excuse yourself !!!

I'm taking away your teaching certificate, there are 6 notes in your Am PENT scale.
Is that a high A & low A, lol
Old 11-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #29
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
::brrp:: Excuse yourself !!!

I'm taking away your teaching certificate, there are 6 notes in your Am PENT scale.
Is that a high A & low A, lol
You get a zero for being a fatass...I mean smartass...I mean both, actually.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #30
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Here is mine. It's trippy, mon
I tired REALLY hard to do some interesting stuff & not be so boring.
I played all the way through so it's quite long.

https://app.box.com/s/jyk33q4ls15swbk555ssv4lqjwv5vnc2
Sounds good Aly! You dynamics are getting better and your sounding more confident in your phrasing. There was something you did around 5:50 that sounded really cool...you went down in the register and walked your way back up...that was cool.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote