Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Introduce Yourself

Old 12-25-2017, 03:26 AM   #1
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

CDN Rick Just getting started
Default Checking in from Canada.

Hey all. New to guitars and the forum. I'm 27 and wanted to learn to play for years now. Finally committed to it earlier this year and I've been practicing for half a year now. Not very good but I can play basic campfirey kumbaya kinda songs.

Really starting to have fun with this. I'm playing a Yamaha APX700 right now that I got from a friend. Its fun but I know its nothing fancy.

I'd like to get an electric guitar of some sort in the next few weeks. So if you have any suggestions feel free to pass them on.

My main hobby is racing dirtbikes but this gets me through the winter. I'm certainly feeling a little overwhelmed with trying to learn all the new names and designations and how different modifications will create different tones and types of tones that suit different styles. Building engines seems a lot easier....

I'd like to be able to play Country and Western, Folk, "Classic" Rock, 90's Rock, and Christian worship music. Not really into metal or much hard rock. I'd love to spend time learning fingerpicking as well.

Anyways. Good to meet you all!

Last edited by CDN Rick; 12-25-2017 at 03:34 AM.
CDN Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:39 AM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Welcome, Rick. You're heading for a frustrating, but rewarding endeavor.

First, how much are you willing to spend? That will dictate a lot. And you'll need an amp.

If you're doing mostly home playing, I can suggest an affordable amp that should cover your needs, based on your preferences: The Boss Katana 50. Check out youtube vids.

Set your budget, so members can give you ideas.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Welcome, Rick. You're heading for a frustrating, but rewarding endeavor.

First, how much are you willing to spend? That will dictate a lot. And you'll need an amp.

If you're doing mostly home playing, I can suggest an affordable amp that should cover your needs, based on your preferences: The Boss Katana 50. Check out youtube vids.

Set your budget, so members can give you ideas.
A friend said at church this morning that I should spend as much as I can....
I told him that I "can" spend $10'000 but it ain't gonna happen!! That money is reserved for a new racebike for next season.

I really have no idea what it takes to get something that isn't garbage. Ideally I'd like to get something that I can turn around and sell easily without losing a lot if I decide it isn't for me.
I'm not scared of the used market.

Is $400 $Canadian reasonable? Or do I need to bump that up to $600. I guess ideally I'd rather keep it under $600 if that will net me something that is ok. I can always buy my dream guitar down the road once I know what it is!

A few people have suggested an Epiphone Les Paul, Washburn HB32, Fender Squire, or Gretsch Electromatic.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:10 AM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

You are in a tough place right now. If you turn some of the seasoned pros loose with $500, they will come back with both, a decent guitar and a decent amp. Being a newbie, you'll need to carry someone with you to guide you through what is good an what is not. There is a lot of good looking junk out there. Find someone who has been playing for about 4 or 5 years and is knowledgeable and take them guitar shopping with you. The flat top you have right now is fine. Focus on something like a solid body electric and an amp that has at least a 10 inch speaker.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:37 AM   #5
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
You are in a tough place right now. If you turn some of the seasoned pros loose with $500, they will come back with both, a decent guitar and a decent amp. Being a newbie, you'll need to carry someone with you to guide you through what is good an what is not. There is a lot of good looking junk out there. Find someone who has been playing for about 4 or 5 years and is knowledgeable and take them guitar shopping with you. The flat top you have right now is fine. Focus on something like a solid body electric and an amp that has at least a 10 inch speaker.
Thanks for the advice. I can see the wisdom in that. I have a few good friends who play. I'll try bribe one of them into spending an afternoon checking out some options.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
A friend said at church this morning that I should spend as much as I can....
I told him that I "can" spend $10'000 but it ain't gonna happen!! That money is reserved for a new racebike for next season.

I really have no idea what it takes to get something that isn't garbage. Ideally I'd like to get something that I can turn around and sell easily without losing a lot if I decide it isn't for me.
I'm not scared of the used market.

Is $400 $Canadian reasonable? Or do I need to bump that up to $600. I guess ideally I'd rather keep it under $600 if that will net me something that is ok. I can always buy my dream guitar down the road once I know what it is!

A few people have suggested an Epiphone Les Paul, Washburn HB32, Fender Squire, or Gretsch Electromatic.
Let's say you have a $600 budget. Squier Classic Vibes are EXCELLENT players. I have 2. A new one would cost about $400 US. That leaves $200 for an amp. Katana, Blackstar, and a few others make SS or hybrid (tube + SS) amps for around that.

On the used market, you can do even better.

It's always easy to spend someone else's money. I don't buy the "save for better gear" philosophy. Better than what, when you don't necessarily know what "good" is, and your tastes will likely change in time.

As long as your guitar intonates well, and holds tuning, you're good to go. Right now you want to make some noise, and, in time, you'll discover what you do, and don't like.

I always tell new players to spend as LITTLE as possible, as long as the equipment is workable. A $10k guitar isn't going to make you, or me a better player.

Get a guitar that's visually appealing. If you don't like how it looks, you'll begin to hate it.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #7
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

Quote:
Let's say you have a $600 budget. Squier Classic Vibes are EXCELLENT players. I have 2. A new one would cost about $400 US. That leaves $200 for an amp. Katana, Blackstar, and a few others make SS or hybrid (tube + SS) amps for around that.

On the used market, you can do even better.

It's always easy to spend someone else's money. I don't buy the "save for better gear" philosophy. Better than what, when you don't necessarily know what "good" is, and your tastes will likely change in time.

As long as your guitar intonates well, and holds tuning, you're good to go. Right now you want to make some noise, and, in time, you'll discover what you do, and don't like.

I always tell new players to spend as LITTLE as possible, as long as the equipment is workable. A $10k guitar isn't going to make you, or me a better player.

Get a guitar that's visually appealing. If you don't like how it looks, you'll begin to hate it.
I found a nice Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus in wine red that I keep going back to. He's asking $400 OBO which is $315USD. I can't post the link because the forum only allows that after a 15 post count

I really like that Boss Katana 50 Amp you recommended. I checked a few youtube reviews and it looks like it would do everything perfectly. Plus I can use it for my APX700 acoustic.

The amp is $300 Canadian plus tax. So that covers a $600 budget already. The only thing I already own is a cable. Lol.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Hi Rick, Welcome to the forum. I recommend a Squier Stratocaster, they are versatile and sound good. A small amp in the 15 watt range, probably cost about USA $ 110 maybe a Fender Mustang, Roland 20 or Peavey Vypyr would be a good start.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #9
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
I found a nice Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus in wine red that I keep going back to. He's asking $400 OBO which is $315USD. I can't post the link because the forum only allows that after a 15 post count

I really like that Boss Katana 50 Amp you recommended. I checked a few youtube reviews and it looks like it would do everything perfectly. Plus I can use it for my APX700 acoustic.

The amp is $300 Canadian plus tax. So that covers a $600 budget already. The only thing I already own is a cable. Lol.
The one you keep going back to you, is often the one that is for you (sez my ex-wife haha).

Don't forget the used market. If you buy new from an online dealer, they're good about giving a discount. I got my Katana for about $175ish.

If you like the humbucker sound, go for it. I'll assume you're not so new that not all humbuckers/pickups are the same. You can always swap them.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

Quote:
The one you keep going back to you, is often the one that is for you (sez my ex-wife haha).

Don't forget the used market. If you buy new from an online dealer, they're good about giving a discount. I got my Katana for about $175ish.

If you like the humbucker sound, go for it. I'll assume you're not so new that not all humbuckers/pickups are the same. You can always swap them.
I know enough to know they aren't all the same. But not enough to know what I like!!

Messaged the guy about the Epi. He'll take 300 Canuckbucks for it. Which is 235 Freedom dollars. I think I'll be happy with that. Easy to flip and sell later if it turns out to be not what I want. They retail new for about $750 Canadian so the price seems fair.