Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Introduce Yourself

Old 12-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

CDN Rick Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
Hi Rick, Welcome to the forum. I recommend a Squier Stratocaster, they are versatile and sound good. A small amp in the 15 watt range, probably cost about USA $ 110 maybe a Fender Mustang, Roland 20 or Peavey Vypyr would be a good start.
Hey thanks for the welcome. Makes me feel at home. Which online is ADVrider.com. LOL.

I like the idea of the smaller cheaper amps... What are your thoughts on moving up to something like the Katana that was mentioned earlier? Better to start off with something that I can grow into? Or keep it simple?
CDN Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:00 AM   #12
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

Here is a pic from his ad. The serial number checks out as a 2004 model. By chance I googled the serial number and it came up in another guitar forum. Its a thread by the current owner talking about when he bought it. He mentions some small fixup's that he did but nothing that scared me. He paid $200 CAD for it in January and did some cleaning so I'm not getting a smoking deal and he's not losing out.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #13
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

The Katana amp is good. Get it if you want. The Fender Mustang, Roland and Peavey amps that I mentioned are about 20 watts, lots of good sounds, and my friends and I gig with them. Lots of good choices.

Check the frets on that guitar, make sure that they are not heavily worn. Check if the neck is straight. A twisted neck or neck with a bump in it is hard to fix.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:32 AM   #14
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
The Katana amp is good. Get it if you want. The Fender Mustang, Roland and Peavey amps that I mentioned are about 20 watts, lots of good sounds, and my friends and I gig with them. Lots of good choices.

Check the frets on that guitar, make sure that they are not heavily worn. Check if the neck is straight. A twisted neck or neck with a bump in it is hard to fix.
Will do..

I'm gonna drop by a few local music shops tomorrow and see if I can snag any Boxing Day deals. Also try to play a few Epiphone LP's before I go to check out the used one to help know what I'm looking at.

I gather from research the big advantage to the new units are the Probuckers.

From everything I can read about online, the Strat would be a better choice for my preferred music style. But I really prefer the look of the LP. Whatever, life is short. I'm sure I'll have fun either way.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:15 AM   #15
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

When I read the first post I thought a Tele or a strat would have suited you better for what you like music wise.
That said anything is going to get you on your way really.
What I would suggest is trying the different types of guitar for feel or comfort . Once you do that and you know What type you like comfort wise that will help narrow down your search criteria.
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #16
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
When I read the first post I thought a Tele or a strat would have suited you better for what you like music wise.
That said anything is going to get you on your way really.
What I would suggest is trying the different types of guitar for feel or comfort . Once you do that and you know What type you like comfort wise that will help narrow down your search criteria.
I'll be sure to try some different stuff out. I always feel like a bit of an idiot walking into a guitar shop. For some reason I think everyone else is watching me to see how bad I am. I just wish I could grab a guitar and solo proficiently.
But the guys at my local shop are fantastic and really great about teaching and giving advice. Plus they aren't on commission so they rarely try to push me on anything.

Last edited by CDN Rick; 12-26-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:01 AM   #17
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

For a beginner music shops can be intimidating yes but everyone had to start somewhere.
Anyone that if you like looks down on you for being a beginner ain't worth worrying about. Other people should only encourage you.
If your trying out guitars try them without plugging in see what feels comfortable for you then ask a guy in the shop to play it to let you hear the sound from it .
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #18
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN Rick View Post
I'll be sure to try some different stuff out. I always feel like a bit of an idiot walking into a guitar shop. For some reason I think everyone else is watching me to see how bad I am. I just wish I could grab a guitar and solo proficiently.
But the guys at my local shop are fantastic and really great about teaching and giving advice. Plus they aren't on commission so they rarely try to push me on anything.
To this day, I feel somewhat self conscious when trying out gear in a store. It's almost like a form of stage fright. But I know everybody else feels pretty much the same.

This is how I test a guitar in a shop: First, I feel the neck while the guitar is still hanging on the wall. By now, I know what I like and don't like as far as feel. If it doesn't feel right, it doesn't come off the wall. If it does feel right, I go to the next step.

I play it without plugging in. I'll try chords up and down the neck, and scales. Some people do this for an electric's "acoustic properties." I don't; I'm testing the playability. I personally don't see how a solid bodied guitar's acoustic properties translates to how it sounds, when plugged in (I tend to think the same about hollow bodies & even acoustics). If it plays nicely, I go to the next step.

I find amps similar to what I have at home. I try the guitar on clean settings, then crank up the gain. I play softly, then I "dig in (play harder)" to see how responsive the pickups are- the amp is part of the equation. Then I try the guitar on other amps. If I like the guitar, I'll go to the next step: go on my phone, and see how much the guitar is on Ebay hahaa.

With name brands, I have a reasonable expectation that the quality (or lack of it) will be consistent across any guitar in that line. So I have no problem in buying used. Some people MUST play the guitar, and buy the one they played. I can't knock them for their approach.

I've bought 4 new guitars in the past year: A Squier Classic Vibe Strat, and I'd never touched one before. It was a store return, so I got it for $249.99. I thought the quality was so good, I then got a CV Telecaster Custom; currently my most played guitar. Then I got a PRS Custom 24, and just last week, a Fender Classic Player 60s. My point is, I have a reasonable idea of what I can deal with. The Fender Classic Player has a neck I've never felt before. The radius is a bit bigger, than my other Fenders. But I'm reasonably sure I can adapt to it.

Since you're new to playing, you don't have a real baseline to gauge things. That's why I tell new players to spend as little as possible, so they don't get stuck with something they don't like, that was expensive. My "buying blind" doesn't always work. My Telecaster '72 Deluxe Reissue has a Classic C neck, which I find big, and fat. I don't like fat necks, and the guitar is an ugly brown; I find it visually unappealing (and why I say get a guitar that looks sexy). My new Fender Strat Classic Playerhas the exact same neck profile and radius I just discovered. The Classic Player was variously described as having just a C neck, and a "Modern C (which is thinner)." Time will tell if I'm up the proverbial creek, and I didn't get the Strat used. But I find the Strat super hot, and I want to play it- for now. I literally just checked the neck profiles and radiuses of both guitars on the Fender site; dammit, I knew there was something that bothered me a bit about the Strat.

It's a process. In a way, you're at an advantage in what you don't know, and you may have 20 different opinions being thrown at you on what's "best." You really only have your gut (and budget) to run with. Just go with it. You'll learn something either way.

Sorry for the massive post, I'm known for that lol. The LP looks hot, but I'm not a humbucker fan normally.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #19
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I agree with what they say about the Katana. Get one, and you are done! And yep, all you need is the one cable that you already have!

For the perfect guitar for you, I agree with what slim said. Try any, if it feels and sounds nice to you, then that's it! Used will give you more guitar for your money, but new will give you the opportunity to return or free adjustments if needed.

Do you have any preferences? Strat type, LP type, tele type, etc?

Welcome to the forum! Expect to have GAS from now on and henceforth!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #20
CDN Rick
Canada Eh?

Thanks for all the help guys.

I picked up the LP this morning. And ordered a Katana 50. The amp doesn't come in until Friday so I'm stuck with playing it acoustically for now. The guy I purchased it from is an older guy, very talented player, and he builds his own guitars on the side. He does some nice work.

It all seems to check out good. The action seems nice. The fretboard wasn't humped and the frets have some wear but not to the point of worry. It feels very familiar. I checked the width of the fretboard against my Yamaha and its 2.5mm smaller at the 12th fret. 1mm narrower at the 1st fret.
It is also 1mm thinner than my Yamaha at the first fret. Close enough that the neck feels identical to me at this point. I'm pleased with it. I guess I'll have to wait until my amp comes in before I get to really start playing around with it. The last owner took the pick guard off. I don't really have a preference but I may put one back on just to cover up the wormholes.