Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 02-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #101
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
For the sake of this discussion, and if there are continuing questions about this wiring job, Ill describe the pots in terms of the pot being oriented as we talked about earlier... viewed from the bottom, lugs pointing straight up, in the 11, 12 and 1 o'clock position.

Im gonna assume a few things... your 3 way switch works as it should, your neck pickup volume works properly (meaning the volume turns off completely when the volume pot is fully rolled back to the off position), and both tone controls work properly. The other thing we'd have to assume is that even though the harness came partially wired, that the connections from the mfg were good in the first place, AND that one of them didnt come un-done in the process of working on the guitar. That possibility is never out of the question.

Now for the bridge volume "issue", assuming (again) you wanna to solve that issue...

So in simple terms, when you turn a guitars volume pot fully off, the center lug of the pot and the left hand lug of the pot are directly connected to each other internally in the pot.

If the left lug is grounded, and the pot can is grounded, there is virtually no way the volume wouldnt turn off completely, since electricity always seeks its easiest path to ground, and the signal from the pickup is of such low voltage, that it "would have no choice" (so to speak) but to get fully grounded.

Aside from not turning off completely, and assuming the volume pot works properly otherwise, if the pot can is definitely grounded, and there is a solid connection between the left lug and the pot can, no signal would be able reach your amp when you roll off the volume completely. It would have a non-restricted path to ground. Again, even though it was pre-wired, I'd take a good look at those connections. As always, a volt meter with a continuity function is invaluable in finding that sort of issue.

Post up if you find anything that you suspect, OR if you dont care about that issue, and dont mind living with it. Thats always a possibility too, but that kinda thing would bug me (at least) until I found it.
It is bugging me Fill and I appreciate the help. In a few days I will remove the cover and post of a pic of the pots real nice and close. Thanks again. One more dumb question. Could anything in the pup make it do that? I could almost swear I remember that issue a few years ago when the tech did it. But like I posted before he used a 5 way switch with 3 pups and the ability to use them any way and split them all. When I removed the wiring I was amazed at all the little tiny wires on that 5 way switch. That must take a lot of patience.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #102
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
It is bugging me Fill and I appreciate the help. In a few days I will remove the cover and post of a pic of the pots real nice and close. Thanks again. One more dumb question. Could anything in the pup make it do that? I could almost swear I remember that issue a few years ago when the tech did it. But like I posted before he used a 5 way switch with 3 pups and the ability to use them any way and split them all. When I removed the wiring I was amazed at all the little tiny wires on that 5 way switch. That must take a lot of patience.
No dumb questions, my man!! I love challenges, and if I can help, no problem!!

Something to try: while the guitar is plugged into an amp (amp at low volume, preferably set to a clean tone) turn the guitars bridge volume completely off and take some small metal object (I use a tiny screwdriver) and tap the pickups polepieces. Tap ALL the polepieces, and see exactly which ones make noise thru the amp.

(IF any noise comes from a pickup being checked, it'll be heard in all 6 poles across the pickup. It come from both row of poles, or it might only come from one row of poles and not the other, but all the poles in the row you're checking will make sound thru the amp).

What you're doing is eliminating where the volume is NOT coming from.

With the bridge p/u volume completely off, a bunch of scenario's could come up:

1- BOTH rows of polepieces on the bridge pickup make noise thru the amp, no noise coming from the neck pickup. (Issue with the full bridge p/u grounding).

2-Only one row of bridge p/u poles make noise, the other row doesnt make any noise. (One of the bridge coils is not connected to ground, but the other row is grounded).

3-NO poles on the bridge p/u make any noise, but you DO hear noise when tapping poles on the neck pickup. (Its not the bridge p/u you're hearing, its the neck pickup).

4-Entire bridge p/u makes no noise, but you hear something when tapping ONE row of poles on the neck pickup, but not the other row of neck p/u poles. (Still hearing the neck p/u. There's an issue with one of the coils ground on the neck pickup).

I'd try the same "experiment" with the bridge pickup at full volume, and the neck pickup volume off.

Also, does this occur when just the bridge p/u is selected on the 3 way switch, or does it also happen if the 3 way is in the middle position??

It would help in figuring this out once all possible scenario's are known for certain.

You've got me intrigued with this one, bud!! I REALLY wish I had that thing in front of me... we'd have it sorted out in no time!!