Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
BuckshotBarnacle

BuckshotBarnacle Just getting started
Default Ibanez Js-100 Action Issues

Hi there! I've come for some advice on my troublesome yet radical Ibanez Js-100. For some reason, I can't get the action low like it was when I purchased it. Now, it could be that I suck at restringing floyd rose tremelos, but I'm starting to think maybe I just need to get a Gotoh tremelo and see if that doesn't solve the issue. I've experimented quite a bit and the still can't get this bad boy to play like it used to. As you can see in the pics, the trem is flat with the body, so I got that part right. When restringing, I had to crank down the screws in the back a lot to get the trem to sit flat with the body. It almost seems like the metal plate in the back is bending. Not sure if that's normal or not. Perhaps I changed to a different string guage that required more tension. Anyhow, I would really appreciate some advice on how to get my action nice and low with reasonably minimal buzzing noises. Check out the pics:

Ibanez Js-100_(1).jpg

Ibanez Js-100_(2).jpg

Ibanez Js-100_(3).jpg

Ibanez Js-100_(4).jpg

Thanks y'all!

Last edited by BuckshotBarnacle; 02-13-2018 at 07:02 PM.
BuckshotBarnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Check the neck screws. If they are plenty tight, then you might want to reset the neck set angle. If you don't know how to change the neck set angle, PLEASE get someone else to do it. You're not going to like this....... To reset the neck set angle, you're going to have to remove the strings and remove the neck. Then put a very thin shim in the neck pocket and reinstall the neck. After that, you're going to have to deal with that annoying Floyd Rose tailpiece all over again.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Have you tried lowering the trem posts?. If you have gone up a gauge or 2, the trem will need to come down to compensate.
Old Today, 02:36 PM   #4
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckshotBarnacle View Post
For some reason, I can't get the action low like it was when I purchased it. Now, it could be that I suck at restringing floyd rose tremelos, but I'm starting to think maybe I just need to get a Gotoh tremelo and see if that doesn't solve the issue.
Changing the trem is not gonna solve an action issue. The guitar needs something in the set up, whether thats a neck angle adjustment as PK said, or a truss rod adjustment, action reset, etc, but its not the trem itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Check the neck screws. If they are plenty tight, then you might want to reset the neck set angle. If you don't know how to change the neck set angle, PLEASE get someone else to do it. You're not going to like this....... To reset the neck set angle, you're going to have to remove the strings and remove the neck. Then put a very thin shim in the neck pocket and reinstall the neck. After that, you're going to have to deal with that annoying Floyd Rose tailpiece all over again.
Good advice, but Stewart MacDonald has made that job way easy with their neck shim kit.
Its a GREAT idea, and a long time coming for a job that used to take some REAL skill and patience.