Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Collaborations

Old 11-27-2017, 03:58 AM   #1
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out
Default I Shot the Sheriff - Viola and Guitar

My 10 year old son has been playing the viola for a year and a half and has been doing really well. His teacher asked him what song he wanted to work on and he chose I Shot the Sheriff from his "Classic Rock" viola book. He's heard me play it a bunch of times and I guess he liked it.

We came up with the idea of he and I doing a duet on viola and guitar for this at his upcoming recital. We have been practicing and we played it for his teacher last week. He gave us the thumbs up saying he had nothing to add...sounded good!

I thought I'd give him a taste of recording. I grabbed a drum track, recorded the acoustic rhythm guitar, and set him up with a mic to record a few takes. We sat and did the mix going through the best parts of each take.

So here it is. It is so much fun and fulfilling to make music with your kids .

https://soundcloud.com/ballistic_squ...viola-n-guitar
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
rdouglas
Master Lurker

rdouglas Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
So here it is. It is so much fun and fulfilling to make music with your kids .

Isn't that the truth. I quite like the combination of the two instruments in that song. Tell your son he sounds great!
rdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

OMG, that is so cool !!! He did a great job & I know playing a viola cannot be easy. Timing was pretty darn good too. Completely recognizable.

A+++ for Squid Jr

Acoustic guitar sounds nice too.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Tell the squidlette he done good

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Thanks you guys for commenting and listening. I liked the idea of two acoustic stringed instruments for this rather than his teach accompanying him on the piano. It will definitely be more than the standard recital piece .

I will definitely pass your kinds words onto Squid Jr. I showed him some feedback this morning and he dismissed it with a wave of his hand...but he had a huge grin on his face that he couldn't hide.

I have one more squidlette to get into the studio, this one on piano. After recital time .
Old 11-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started ronpfid Just getting started

Violin is supposed to be one of the hardest, so he did good, cool to do a duet!

'squidlette' LOL haha
Old 11-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #7
BallisticSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
Violin is supposed to be one of the hardest, so he did good, cool to do a duet!

'squidlette' LOL haha
Viola...not violin...they are different .

When he chose to learn viola, he was very specific about it. The viola is between the violin and the cello in it's tone. It has a deeper richer tone than a violin.

The viola is the bass guitar of the orchestra...most people want to play violin (guitar), not viola (bass) . Like a bass player, and violist has an easy time finding work because there are so few viola players. It's not flashy like the violin...very few if any solos, no pieces written around it, etc. Some violinists learn viola to get work, much like some guitar players will learn bass to get in a band.

Like the violin, there's that "screechy" period you go through in the beginning. He was quick to get through that thankfully.

The hard part is there are no frets. One of the things he has to work on as he plays is his "intonation"...you have to know what it's supposed to sound like so you can hit the note correctly. He's come a long ways there.

Now that I've concluded my viola vs. violin lecture...thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started ronpfid Just getting started

Oh OK, man I saw viol.... and my brain filled in to violin, but it's viola

Interesting!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started

Thats cool! It surely must be awesome playing music with your children. He did great! good pick for a song aswell!

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
BallisticSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
Oh OK, man I saw viol.... and my brain filled in to violin, but it's viola

Interesting!
I know...just giving you a bit of a hard time. I knew nothing about the viola until he started learning it...I thought it was interesting.

Between the violin and viola, the strings are different notes and the sheet music uses a different staff. The violin uses the treble clef we are all familiar with, but he viola use the alto clef. So I think it probably sucks pretty hard to go from one to the other. At least techniques like vibrato and slurs are the same.