Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 06-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #51
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

It sounds like Cobalt's experience was like mine.

It's dangerous asking the student what they want to do and strictly going on that. The student doesn't know what they don't know . I think it's better to approach it from a goal perspective, like Mr. Boston suggests.

Songs are certainly important...that is the goal no matter what. But tie it in with other stuff. My daughter's piano teacher has her working through a standard piano lesson book and he has a plan. He also has her working on a song that challenges her technique and sight reading...and to keep her interest, she gets to choose the song so it's on that interests here.

Guitar teachers (the ones I've encountered and heard about from personal friends) never seem to have a plan...they just kind of wing it.

Perhaps things have changed. If I only knew then what I know now...the curse of getting older .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #52
Jase

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

I tried teaching someone once, and found I've not got the patience for it.

Like teachers in other areas of education you have to be prepared to do the grunt work your self. The teacher can only get you started. Are they indespensible?... No, not even the good ones.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #53
BigMoney

BigMoney Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
I tried teaching someone once, and found I've not got the patience for it.
Teaching someone else is a whole different beast. I have no problem teaching intermediate to advanced guitarists, but beginners are a no go
Old 06-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #54
gregory

gregory Just getting started

I'm self taught... started off using written lessons on about.com. Then various other articles right before YouTube came out.

I remember when I came across my first few video lessons... they were by a guy called Pick 'n Grin from ultimate-guitar.com. Helped me a ton... used to really look forward to him putting them out...

But overall i'd say getting a teacher could be good idea... i've had to relearn a lot of techniques because I was doing it wrong... was a pain when I had those realizations... lol
Old 06-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #55
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoney View Post
Teaching someone else is a whole different beast. I have no problem teaching intermediate to advanced guitarists, but beginners are a no go
I think there is a special skillset required to teach beginners. There is a level of patience and understanding I think you have to have teaching at that level. Intermediate and advanced students should be past that and you can focus just on the material at hand.

When my daughter first took piano lessons, it was with a teacher better suited for advanced and intermediate students. In the end that didn't work out so great...we learned our lesson.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #56
BigMoney

BigMoney Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
I think there is a special skillset required to teach beginners. There is a level of patience and understanding I think you have to have teaching at that level. Intermediate and advanced students should be past that and you can focus just on the material at hand.

When my daughter first took piano lessons, it was with a teacher better suited for advanced and intermediate students. In the end that didn't work out so great...we learned our lesson.
Fair enough. Sometimes if I am teaching a beginner, I flip the guitar around and play left handed to relate to their technical issues
Old 06-23-2017, 06:53 PM   #57
Jase

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoney View Post
Fair enough. Sometimes if I am teaching a beginner, I flip the guitar around and play left handed to relate to their technical issues
I know what i would be flipping if you did that to me
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #58
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started

I'm guessing you get the kind of guitar teacher that you want or maybe deserve.

The Guitar Center teachers are probably just younger people who know how to (and like to) play guitar rather than someone who is particularly good at teaching.

I like (rock) climbing and climbing at the gym. If I had to teach climbing at the gym (which would be mainly to kids) I'd shoot myself. You have to like teaching as much as doing the actual activity and in the case of playing guitar that also probably means working with a lot of kids.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #59
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Cool Depends On How Bad You Want It

I am self taught on guitar - aside from conversations with experience guitarists I've met/know - I've carved it out on my own . I keep discovering new ways to make my finger's dance across the fret board and tighten up my sloppy right hand's middle , ring , pinky fingers .

I did learn in my elementary school marching bands how to read notation from 8 to 13 , and when I was a kid of 5 my aunt taught me a few things about the staff and that help years later .

I have been one of those guys who seems to excel in what ever I choose to get my hands on if I like it that bad - - Guitar was not one of them .

Three years of hard practicing 3 to 5 hour sessions minimum at least 5 days a week and more when I could fit in an extra day(s) - but that's just me . I began @ 48 - yeah man that's really old to start .

While learning to play a guitar I had a neighbor buddy who spoke little english but played far better than I did when I met him . I got a guitar instruction music book in spanish to teach him what the basic chords were called and theory .

Just before I did that in spanish , I had gigs in coffee houses and worked with a talented guitarist who didn't read notation or tabs and didn't know any Jazz /Blues / or Standards .

Because I knew music theory and was attempting to learn the keyboard I taught him these types of songs by playing the chord for him to sound out and realize a solution to play , it worked well , so well I learned keyboard in the process .

I teach in two languages now . 18 years of time has paid off . Playing professionally ( Blues Harp ) from the late 70's taught me a lot about music just watching and listening to great pro musicians . My guitar chops caught up to my harp chops after 14 years of dedication , 4 years later I'm really close to the fluid relaxed attack my harp solo's have . It just gets better everyday I love it .

What matters is what is you goal and are you willing to dedicate the necessary time ?

The more time you put in , the more you get out in return , that's all I'm trying to say .

I know full well this kind of regime can not be achievable/doable by everyone , but , it's worked well for me YMMV .

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote