Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 01-31-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts
Default Simple Workmanly Pedals!!!

So I had sort of an epiphany about my effects pedals... I want the SIMPLEST units available!!! I just want pedals that do their job and are easy as pie to control.

I recently bought an MXR Phase 90. It just has ONE knob. It sets the rate of the phaser, that's it. I LOVE it. Lots of people look at pedals that have tons of different controls as being more flexible - like you can REALLY dial things in with precision. And I totally get that impulse. Sculpting can be GREAT. I want to go the other way. I want pedals that have the fewest number of options possible. One or two knobs at the most. I want pedals that are deliberately limited so I can figure out how to be more effective with my playing and with the guitars and amps themselves to get the sounds I want.

So far I have an MXR Phase 90 and I really dig it.

Also have a TC Electronics Hall of Fame Mini Reverb pedal and LOVE that too. You can tweak all kinds of things with software, but the pedal itself has a single knob to just set the amount of reverb - PERFECT!!!

Electro Harmonix makes a series of "clone" pedals, which are basically chorus with just a knob for the rate and some have a Depth switch, and that's it.

I've been looking at the the Earthquaker Devices Acapulco Gold - it's a dirt pedal that JUST has a gain knob and that's all. Seems like heaven to me!

So... list for me your favorite Keeping it Simple pedals.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
Also have a TC Electronics Hall of Fame Mini Reverb pedal and LOVE that too. You can tweak all kinds of things with software, but the pedal itself has a single knob to just set the amount of reverb - PERFECT!!!

The reverb pedals in the MFX units I have include a bunch of parameters you can set. I wish for something like on my amp...a knob that you turn for more or less reverb!

Before the holidays, I was recording some acoustic guitar. I really enjoyed the simplicity of it...no "sounds" to dial in, no decisions at all to be made...just play!

Nothing really to add but to say I understand where you are coming from.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
I just want pedals that do their job and are easy as pie to control.

So...list for me your favorite Keeping it Simple pedals.
When it comes to performing, I'm the same way. I do not want a complicated interface to fiddle with on the stage. I can do most any gig with a tuner, distortion, tremolo, and delay pedal.

My simple pedal setup is: Rogue Analog Delay < Boss TR-2 < Ibanez TS9 < Boss TU-2

Sometimes I use a Digitech Digidelay instead of the Analog Delay, but that Digitech really consumes a lot of power.

Last edited by Big John; 01-31-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
When it comes to performing, I'm the same way. I do not want a complicated interface to fiddle with on the stage. I can do most any gig with a tuner, distortion, tremolo, and delay pedal.

My simple pedal setup is: Rogue Analog Delay < Boss TR-2 < Ibanez TS9 < Boss TU-2

Sometimes I use a Digitech Digidelay instead of the Analog Delay, but that Digitech really consumes a lot of power.
I get stressed out if I have too many configurations to manage on stage. What's nice is with the MFX units we have today, you can choose to set it up for simple usage.

I have 2 patches set up...one for single coil guitars and another for humbuckers guitars. I put the patch into manual mode so I can turn my individual effects on and off. I have boost, chorus, delay, overdrive, and wah. Reverb is on all the time. I have a piece of tape going across clearly labelling which effect is assigned to which pedal.

Yes, I could have different reverbs set up for different tunes, even configure different simulated amps...but that's too much of a headache. On stage, it doesn't matter much anyway...that subtle stuff is often lost on the audience.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

I have the same attitude toward pedals effects they should do what they are suppose to with out excess clutter.But I normaly only use 3 to 4 Big Muff fuzz two knobs,cry Babby some have 1 knob, phase shifter 2 knobs ,Reverb 2 knobs. But my main one is the cry Babby I can get a lot out of it.
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 PM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

My pedal chain now is: Keeley Compressor Plus, DS-1, Mojo Mojo. When I play through my Jet City, HoF Reverb because the amp has none.

Or, if I'm playing through my Katana, nothing.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I think you are on the right track with what you want your pedals to do. I'm not much of a pedal person but when I was gigging, I didn't have a choice and had to have a few pedals. I made sure they were simple. For instance, I wanted my Flanger to have a knob for how much and a knob for how fast. I never used distortion. I just turned the Drive up and let the front end of the amp take care of the distortion. I still have a Boss Octaver that I rarely used and only use now for playing bass on my guitar because I'm too lazy to drag out my real bass. Yes, I had a WahWah pedal(Vox and a Cry Baby) and I hated when I had to use it. Reverb was never a problem because all my amps had built in Reverb. Nothing looks more like an Amateur than watching some schmuck spending a full minute setting all his pedals for the next song and then doing it all over again on the next song. I do use effects but I use the one's built into my amp. I have four presets and I have them set up and ready to go with a push of the button. For Funk and Blues I use a bit of reverb and a bit of Flange and scoop out the mid frequencies. For pretty chord solos, I use a bit of reverb and a bit of Chorus with Bass, Middle, and Treble all the way up. For Jazz, I use a bit of reverb and back off on the treble a bit. Then there's the last one for Country which is a lot of reverb and a lot of treble.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

I am liking the simplicity of separate pedals v mfx however I am not sure if I would go as simple as your suggesting .
I think a level control on each pedal would be a must
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I'm either very simplistic, or what I use just works for me. Two pedals IF and when I go out, which is next to nowhere now.

Original old style Route 66 Comp and boost. I never have used the comp. EHX Memory toy delay, and that's it. Those two in a band setting through my HRDLX are just beautiful.

At home, if and when I turn on the HRDLX, it's the memory toy and a bit of reverb and that's all I need.