Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 01-26-2018, 03:36 AM   #11
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

This means the GT-100's price will be lowered soon, right? Woohoo!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:40 AM   #12
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
This means the GT-100's price will be lowered soon, right? Woohoo!
Right !!! Squid & Raindancer will give us good deals
Old 01-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
Gone Shootin'

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Gone Shootin' Just getting started

looks like they cheaped out with standard stomp box switches instead of the normal GT-xx foot switches.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Shootin' View Post
looks like they cheaped out with standard stomp box switches instead of the normal GT-xx foot switches.

Aesthetically the stomp box foot switches look 'tacky' but they are probably better than the small TAC switches used in older GT models. Under the large foot switches the GT-100 and GT-10 just have TAC switches on the main PCB. I've had a few TAC switches fail, but replacement is pretty easy.

What looks tacky to me is the square slab of a box they have come up with. Looks like a third of the kit, for three times the price. For the money they are now asking, I think I would go for Fractal Audio Axe FX.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:25 PM   #15
Gone Shootin'

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Gone Shootin' Just getting started

oh i'm fully aware of how they're made. my comment was mostly directed at them moving away from what has been the standard Boss/Roland look and feel.

now it look like pretty much any other processor on the market.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #16
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
What's up with having to buy the power supply separately? That's really lame!!
At $1000 it really doesn't come with a power supply?
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:10 AM   #17
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
At $1000 it really doesn't come with a power supply?
When I bought that Roland guitar synthesizer, I had to buy the pickup & the power cord all seprate.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:21 AM   #18
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
When I bought that Roland guitar synthesizer, I had to buy the pickup & the power cord all seprate.
That's a shame. I'm disappointed to see Boss move in this direction. I also noticed their new Katana line of amps, which they tout come with a bunch of simulations of legendary Boss stomp boxes, doesn't even have a simple tuner...they want you to buy their TU-3 separate. No thanks.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 AM   #19
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
Hmmm, are you sure the power cord was not included, or perhaps it was the 13-pin cable to connect the special pickup to the guitar synth unit?

I'm in Australia and I own a Roland GR-50 and a GR-55 guitar synth. The GR-50 is a late 80's rack mount unit and runs from a regular wall power outlet, no power adaptor required. The pickup and connector cable were sold separately when I bought mine back in the late 80's.

The GR-55 uses a power adaptor and here in Aust there are a couple of different retail "packs" based on the GR-55. The most notable difference in the packs is whether the pickup and connector cable are included or not. Several guitar companies offer guitars with a Roland compatible pickup installed at the factory. Why buy a Roland pickup bundled with the synth unit if you already have a guitar that has the pickup installed on it? Since I already owned a guitar with a Roland GK pickup for my GR-50, I bought a GR-55 pack that did not have a pickup or connector cable included, but the pack definitely included the power adaptor.

As for selling the accessories separately, I definitely don't like it if the accessory is a "must have" item like the power adaptor. That stinks, IMO.

On the flip side, if it's a unit that does "everything" in a single box, and future software updates are free, the company makes money on the sale of the unit, but then the revenue dries up.

It wouldn't surprise me if companies like Roland start to charge money for software updates as a way to maintain their financial income on the types of products that right now they only get paid for one single time. Not a good thing from the buyer's point of view, but these products are made by for-profit companies who have shareholders and need to fund the R&D required to develop new products or software updates for existing products. These companies are not non-profit charities.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:35 AM   #20
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

If you read the spec sheet they have on Sweetwater, the 9V DC power is "sold separately".

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GT1000

I'm in full agreement with everybody here, if I'm dropping $1k, I'd like a power supply, thank you!!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote