Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 02-07-2018, 01:06 AM   #11
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I really bought this just to learn "Sultans of Swing". I'll put sections of the chord progression on it and then play the associated riffs over it. When I get that down, I'll move to the next section.

I'll do similar things to make other riffs sound more interesting. I don't see that I will be moving anything to or from the computer. I heard that doesn't work so well on this looper anyway but maybe your suggestion is the answer to that if I ever have that need.

I know that there are already backing tracks to most any song on YouTube but I think I'll learn more this way.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #12
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Sultans is a fun tune. I'm pretty sure there's a G major chord played with an open C Maj chord shape, with your pinky on the 10th fret, A string.

I only learned that knopfler played with his fingers in the past 10 years. I learned the fast part of the solo with a pick. There's a vid going back years that I posted that covers part of the solo.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:32 AM   #13
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Sultans is a fun tune. I'm pretty sure there's a G major chord played with an open C Maj chord shape, with your pinky on the 10th fret, A string.

I only learned that knopfler played with his fingers in the past 10 years. I learned the fast part of the solo with a pick. There's a vid going back years that I posted that covers part of the solo.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
I can play it all slow but not up to speed. I also can't remember it all without references.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:51 AM   #14
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Wow, I found the vid. It goes back 8 years, when I was barely back into playing again.

http://www.guitarforums.com/showpost...90&postcount=8

That's my MiM with the noiseless.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:12 AM   #15
Seattle

I couldn't get the video to load.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:29 AM   #16
Silimtao
Baaand

It's not a tutorial per se, IIRC. It's from a "Lick Of The Day" thread someone started.

I moved it to my google drive; not sure if it's done rendering: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ti-...ew?usp=sharing

Old 02-07-2018, 03:53 AM   #17
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

Quote:
You must have paid dirt for that Toyota, to have gotten what you paid for it, after putting 25k miles on it.

One of my sisters had one for over 20 years. I assume they last. She must've put over 250k miles on it.
I have a 1990 Toyota 4x4 and I have 255K on it. I bet I could get $3000 for it with no problem. I paid $7000 in 1994. Not free but pretty good.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:00 AM   #18
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I have a 1990 Toyota 4x4 and I have 255K on it. I bet I could get $3000 for it with no problem. I paid $7000 in 1994. Not free but pretty good.
I sometimes want to get a beater car just to have, but you spend half your life here looking for parking.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 AM   #19
Seattle

Quote:
I sometimes want to get a beater car just to have, but you spend half your life here looking for parking.
Just keep it at a buddy's house who lives outside of the city.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #20
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Just keep it at a buddy's house who lives outside of the city.
No. New Yorkers buy a car, park it, and never move it so they don't have to find parking.