Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 02-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Nikki J

Nikki J Just getting started
Default Volume fluctuation problem

Hey all. I have a problem and I'm hoping someone out there can help.

When I plug my electric guitar into a multi-effects pedal and from the pedal into my amp, it works perfectly. But, when I use the same guitar, pedal, and cords that were just functioning correctly, but connect to a PA instead of an amp, the volume fluctuates - almost like a tremolo, but not at any particular tempo.

To be clear, these strange fluctuations happen regardless of the effect I choose, but none of the other instruments/vocals through the PA are affected. I can't figure out what this could be, especially considering that the exact same setup works fine through an amp. Thoughts?
Nikki J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:29 AM   #2
rct

rct Just getting started

The PA wants a different level of signal. Your guitar/cable/pedal/cable are instrument level and that PA does not want that.

rct
rct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:33 AM   #3
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

A multi fx may have a general setting for what you are plugging into do you alter this when going from mfx- amp or mfx - PA.
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:31 AM   #4
Nikki J

I didn't think of that... Especially strange because another guitarist is using a [different] pedal with her electric that I would assume is instrument level as well. Why would hers be line-level but mine not? Gonna have to do some research if that's the case.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:32 AM   #5
Nikki J

If there is a setting for that, I'm not sure how to access it. So to answer your question, no. I don't alter any settings to switch from PA to amp or vice-versa. I never even knew that was possible, since my other pedals work fine through the amp or the PA. Still a mystery here.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

What mfx do you have ?
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Some PA systems have a feedback killer. Your level might be causing it to kick in and out. Sometimes there is a button on each channel and sometimes there is just one button for the whole PA. If thats not it then look around on the PA for something called AGC(automaticgain control). An AGC can cause volume changes.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
Nikki J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
What mfx do you have ?
I have a Zoom G2.1 Nu.

To make it even stranger, my acoustic Zoom pedal doesn't do this. There has to be something I'm missing. Thanks for trying to help, by the way. I'd hate to not be able to use the cool effects on this pedal just because I can't figure it out.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #9
Nikki J

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Some PA systems have a feedback killer. Your level might be causing it to kick in and out. Sometimes there is a button on each channel and sometimes there is just one button for the whole PA. If thats not it then look around on the PA for something called AGC(automaticgain control). An AGC can cause volume changes.
I checked all the channels and the mixer at large, but can't find a feedback killer or AGC. I have used a PA with a feedback killer before, but I can't remember where it was situated, or if each individual line had one.

But this mixer is a Mackie 2404 VLZ4. Maybe I'm just dense and I'm missing something obvious. It does run from this unpowered mixer to powered speakers, but the other guitarist doesn't have any problems plugging her electric into a Line 6 pedal and into the same board/speakers.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. There has to be some way to make this work.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

If you have one handy, try a D.I. box from the Zoom to the P.A.