Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 02-11-2018, 02:39 AM   #1
mike_rizk

mike_rizk Just getting started
Default Funeral Music

Ok, So I've been playing professionally for a few years now and last week I had my first every funeral gig... Well it was more for the wake. I'm actually starting to think there might be a fair bit of work in the funeral music business. Anyone else think the same? I've even now created my own page on my website.
mike_rizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #2
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Hi Mike, you are correct, there is work there. My mother plays harp professionally, and gets a significant portion of her work doing funerals, wakes, viewings, etc. Funerals are a business, and clients have budgets for the various services (to include music). Your website looks nice.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Keyboard players have been playing funeral gigs forever. Some high quality guitar is not out of the ordinary. I plan to have music at mine because most of the people there will be my musician friends. Of course, I going to have them play my recordings because they've been showing me up fore 50 years so I'm going to make them suffer through listening to my stuff for a change. No, I will not be playing VooDooChild.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I plan to have music at mine because most of the people there will be my musician friends...

No, I will not be playing VooDooChild.
If YOU are playing ANYTHING, I wanna see a tape of it.

I've seen The Dead in concert, but not LITERALLY 'the dead' in concert.
(I'd guess we'd hear a lot of minor and diminished notes).

Old 02-12-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I played at a friend's celebration of life party. It was one of the saddest times that I remember. I don't want to do it again.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #6
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
I played at a friend's celebration of life party. It was one of the saddest times that I remember. I don't want to do it again.
Actually, I did the same thing for a brother (not MY brother... a "brother" in music), but had the exact opposite feeling... it WAS very surreal, but it was also absolutely awesome. I used to jam with this brother, so I was honored to even be asked to play at the celebration of his life.

Talk about feeling like he was "with us"??!! FUCK, man!! The feeling was palpable.
What a party that was. One of the most incredible things I've ever been privileged enough to be part of.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Not me, not again. I played "Aloha Oe"at My ladies father's funeral and it was fine until her mother decided to sing it. She could sing beautifully, but the occasion was a sad one and it came out more lament than bon voyage... I've also "Twidled" around with make music guitar playing at the end of the same service and it was just not my thing.