Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Jam Clinic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #21
AlyKat
Collab Queen
 
AlyKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Middle Of Nowhere
Posts: 7,193
AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation
Default

IF I didn't know better I would say DiMeola is in the middle & Abo & Mouse are on either side of him.

Wow you guys !!!!! That was great
__________________
I always tell the truth, even when I lie.
AlyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #22
Silimtao
Baaand
 
Silimtao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: here
Posts: 33,747
Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life
Default

Great job guys.

Paco is on my list of badass guitar players. He did his part on Mediterranean Sundance in one take for the studio version.
__________________
Instant Karma's gonna get you......

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #23
BallisticSquid
Senior Member
 
BallisticSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8,623
BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Great job guys.

Paco is on my list of badass guitar players. He did his part on Mediterranean Sundance in one take for the studio version.
All 3 of these guys are badass! "Friday Night in San Francisco" was my introduction to jazz. That Paco gets the staccato sound using individual fingers is amazing!

The parts where they are playing off eachother is just amazing to watch...talk about a fantastic jam!!

DiMeola has always been a guitar hero of mine and I was lucky enough to see him live right around where I grew up...in what was the local movie theater. He did 2 electric sets and a solo acoustic set. Absolutely amazing!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #24
Silimtao
Baaand
 
Silimtao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: here
Posts: 33,747
Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
All 3 of these guys are badass! "Friday Night in San Francisco" was my introduction to jazz. That Paco gets the staccato sound using individual fingers is amazing!

The parts where they are playing off eachother is just amazing to watch...talk about a fantastic jam!!

DiMeola has always been a guitar hero of mine and I was lucky enough to see him live right around where I grew up...in what was the local movie theater. He did 2 electric sets and a solo acoustic set. Absolutely amazing!
Paco gets my badass award because it's obvious he's lived flamenco, and look how calm he looks while ripping off those note.

McLaughlin is a genius in his own way.

You know those 2 classical pieces DiMeola did in his first 2 albums? I don't know if he did them as an homage to Berklee, or a fuck you, but I had to perform those very same pieces at Berklee. I got marked down because I hybred picked it- they insisted on a "floating" picking hand. I argued, THEY'RE THE SAME NOTES DAMMIT, AND I DON'T FLOAT MY HAND! I lost that argument, and had do the test over. It's an awesome place now. My niece hangs out with a lot of Berklee grads in Boston. I troll them by saying tone woods are a fiction hahahhahahaahahaaaaa!

I listen to Mediterranean Sundance more than any other DiMeola tune. He plays BB King's here a lot. I gotta catch him. Definitely a monster.
__________________
Instant Karma's gonna get you......

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #25
BallisticSquid
Senior Member
 
BallisticSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8,623
BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Paco gets my badass award because it's obvious he's lived flamenco, and look how calm he looks while ripping off those note.

McLaughlin is a genius in his own way.

You know those 2 classical pieces DiMeola did in his first 2 albums? I don't know if he did them as an homage to Berklee, or a fuck you, but I had to perform those very same pieces at Berklee. I got marked down because I hybred picked it- they insisted on a "floating" picking hand. I argued, THEY'RE THE SAME NOTES DAMMIT, AND I DON'T FLOAT MY HAND! I lost that argument, and had do the test over. It's an awesome place now. My niece hangs out with a lot of Berklee grads in Boston. I troll them by saying tone woods are a fiction hahahhahahaahahaaaaa!

I listen to Mediterranean Sundance more than any other DiMeola tune. He plays BB King's here a lot. I gotta catch him. Definitely a monster.
Yeah, you told me that story before about the DiMeola tunes and Berklee. DiMeola is a Jersey Boy, so he's from the area. I think that's why he plays in the area a lot. Another jazz guy, though more traditional, that's in the area is Keith Jarrett. He lives a couple of towns over from me.

Watching DiMeola hit all those notes, string skipping left and right, and doing it with a pick...it's just mind boggling.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #26
Silimtao
Baaand
 
Silimtao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: here
Posts: 33,747
Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Yeah, you told me that story before about the DiMeola tunes and Berklee. DiMeola is a Jersey Boy, so he's from the area. I think that's why he plays in the area a lot. Another jazz guy, though more traditional, that's in the area is Keith Jarrett. He lives a couple of towns over from me.

Watching DiMeola hit all those notes, string skipping left and right, and doing it with a pick...it's just mind boggling.
Didn't know AD was a Jersey boy. I think he's a strict alternate picker. I was never into the The Return To Forever type of jazz, but you can't be a slouch when you're called by Chick Corea to play with you.

I have no facts to back it up, but I think DiMeola wasn't happy at Berklee. He already had the chops. It truly was a horrible time for guitar players when I was there. William Leavitt (whose books are still used)was a guitar nazi. Vai was a senior there, when I was a freshman, and I think Satch just graduated. Not a single guy I know that was a performance guitar major I went in with graduated. They had a way of crushing our souls, BUT I WISH I PAID ATTENTION IN THEORY CLASS! TBH, my lack of formal music training really held me back. And probably a lack of talent, if truth be told.

Paco got an honorary degree from Berklee. I wonder if I'll get one!
__________________
Instant Karma's gonna get you......

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #27
Mouse
Senior Member
 
Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 668
Mouse Just getting started Mouse Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
If I had known you had used that approach I would not have posted up . As soon as I saw your guitar I thought I'm looking like a copycat jammer lol I had no idea.
Class stuff mouse nice jazzy sound you had from that too good man
Ha! And had you posted first I might not have posted at all. That was a great example of rhythmic soloing and why the kids need to learn how to play in time before they try to solo. Great feel and some speedy runs not unlike those 3 greats mentioned in this thread.
__________________
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-d...view=0&sort=dd
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #28
Mouse
Senior Member
 
Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 668
Mouse Just getting started Mouse Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Didn't know AD was a Jersey boy. I think he's a strict alternate picker. I was never into the The Return To Forever type of jazz, but you can't be a slouch when you're called by Chick Corea to play with you.
A good colleague of mine is first cousin of Al DiMeola. Recently he got me a signed poster. I keep asking for one of his picks in the hopes that some of the magic will transfer but so far no such luck.
__________________
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-d...view=0&sort=dd
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Competition | Piano Lessons