Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started
Default How do you like my amp?

https://i.imgur.com/16QQVo5.jpg
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:11 AM   #2
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post

It's mahvelous !!! I think my ex-duet partner had one that size & I am talking about the amp
Old 09-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

In all the time I've been playing, I think those tufted Kustoms might be the only amps I've never played thru. Is that a tube amp, and regardless, how does it sound? It looks cooler than hell.

Up until about 5 years ago, I'd never played thru an old Harry Joyce wired Hiwatt... took about 3 minutes for my "so THATS what all the fuss is about" moment to hit, and I bought it on the spot.

So I got her nothing.
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillmoreNYC View Post
In all the time I've been playing, I think those tufted Kustoms might be the only amps I've never played thru. Is that a tube amp, and regardless, how does it sound? It looks cooler than hell.

Up until about 5 years ago, I'd never played thru an old Harry Joyce wired Hiwatt... took about 3 minutes for my "so THATS what all the fuss is about" moment to hit, and I bought it on the spot.
I'm glad you asked about it. It's a 1972 Solid state amp and it is a monster. Every guitarist who has seen me play through it has asked if it was a tube amp. They're always surprised when I tell them it's Solid State. Even I can't tell by listening to it. It has one issue. It has a two prong AC cord that's about 20 feet long and if there are any neon lights in the room they make it buzz. If I don't need any effects beyond reverb, that's the amp I prefer to use. Believe it or not, that 50 watter with one 12" speaker is really heavy.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
I'm glad you asked about it. It's a 1972 Solid state amp and it is a monster. Every guitarist who has seen me play through it has asked if it was a tube amp. They're always surprised when I tell them it's Solid State. Even I can't tell by listening to it.
I dont doubt it for a second. Some of those older amps are built like tanks, and whether they are SS or tube, can sound jaw-dropping.

Quote:
It has one issue. It has a two prong AC cord that's about 20 feet long and if there are any neon lights in the room they make it buzz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
If it sounds as good as you say, I'd have the cord replaced.
Agreed. That would be a very easy job. An amp tech could swap that cord out with a grounded cord in no time. The grounding prong simply gets attached to the chassis.

THAT BEING SAID... I always advise extreme caution anyone thinking of doing shit inside their amps if they're not VERY well versed regarding an amps innards (and Im not saying that you're not, PK).
However, Im sure you know that things can go wrong real quick.

Those caps store deadly voltage and will release that voltage to an unsuspecting finger, doing anything from hurting like a bitch (in NY, my amp tech used to call it getting a "snake bite"), to knocking a person on their ass, to potentially killing the recipient.

Working inside an amps guts is NOT something for the inexperienced.

So I got her nothing.
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
PKVeazey
Old Timer

Quote:
I dont doubt it for a second. Some of those older amps are built like tanks, and whether they are SS or tube, can sound jaw-dropping.

Agreed. That would be a very easy job. An amp tech could swap that cord out with a grounded cord in no time. The grounding prong simply gets attached to the chassis.

THAT BEING SAID... I always advise extreme caution anyone thinking of doing shit inside their amps if they're not VERY well versed regarding an amps innards (and Im not saying that you're not, PK).

Those caps store deadly voltage and will release that voltage to an unsuspecting finger, doing anything from hurting like a bitch (in NY, my amp tech used to call it getting a "snake bite"), to knocking a person on their ass, to potentially killing the recipient.

You're right about staying out if you don't have an electronics background. I've got a Commercial Radio telephone license and an Advanced Class Ham Radio License, so I'm well versed in accidentally shorting a charged capacitor. BAM!!!! WOW!!! What a surprise. That was loud and did you see that spark? Anyway, I've only run into one location where the Neon was causing the buzz and I just can't bring myself to alter that vintage amp. I've even got the original KUSTOM amp cover. Best $60 I ever spent for an amp. They clearly didn't know what they had.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:

Even with the power off?. Just turn power off jeez Louis... That's an Americanism lol.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Quote:
Looks cool!

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

The spirit of 1972, distilled to it's purest form, is encapsulated in that awesome pillowed blue metallic design. If it sounds as good as you say, I'd have the cord replaced.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #10
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

yes and 1972 meant REAL transistors, not 'chips' so I bet it sounds very cool! Discrete components... much better than processor modeling!
ronpfid is online now   Reply With Quote