Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 08-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Rohan2395

Rohan2395 Just getting started
Question Amp giving electric shock.

I have a fender mustang 1(v2). I plugged it in and as i was turning it on. I accidentally touched a screw near the switch and got a little electric shock. Everything in the amp works good. No problems nothing. But i tested all the screws with an electric tester and they showed positive for electricity. I don't want to risk my life. What can be the problem in this case. Everything else works good only the screws have this. Also if i even turn the switch on the amplifier OFF, still tester shows positive on only the screws. Some guidance will he helpful. If the fix isn't too difficult like changing some parts then i can open it up and fix it myself.(I've done things like this in the past). I tried a different power cable and a different wall socket too.
Rohan2395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Are you certain the ground in the wall plug is correctly connected and actually grounded?

Do you get shocks if you move the amp to another circuit (perhaps in another room).
Hi Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
Rohan2395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
Are you certain the ground in the wall plug is correctly connected and actually grounded?

Do you get shocks if you move the amp to another circuit (perhaps in another room).
Yep the grounding in my home is good. I tried it in my friend's home too. Still there's shock. I tried opening the back today but guess two of the screws were stuck and when i used force then the screw heads stripped(oops). Now I don't know of a way to open them lol. I'm stuck with this maybe. I'll use electrical tape on the four affected screws till then.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
Big John

Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan2395 View Post
But i tested all the screws with an electric tester and they showed positive for electricity.
Could you describe this electrical test in more detail?
Big John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
Rohan2395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Could you describe this electrical test in more detail?
I took an electrical tester. Plugged the amp in the wall socket. Turned the socket switch on. Touched the tester on the four screws above the amp. All showed positive for voltage tests.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

You can get an 'easy out' cheap at the hardware store to get those screws out (if you have a drill).
sounds like a floating ground. Does your amp have a polarity switch in the back? Some do, if it's flipped wrong it'll swap the polarity.

Does that amp have a 3 prong plug? the screws should be grounded to the 3rd bottom prong. (test with ohm meter when not plugged in)

When I was a kid, my friend had a refrigerator in his basement, something was wired wrong, he loved to ask people touch and watch us get shocked! ... the hoser. lol
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan2395 View Post
I took an electrical tester. Plugged the amp in the wall socket. Turned the socket switch on. Touched the tester on the four screws above the amp. All showed positive for voltage tests.
How many AC volts did it read?
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote