Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #31
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Supposedly the Ebay fees are 10% and the PayPal fees are 2%. Currently there are no listing fees on Ebay (this month). I guess it's just a promotion month. I notice that they take their fees out of the sales price and the shipping fees.
For some reason, I think total fees are more than 12 %. Well, the bottom line is, I have crap sitting in my closets. At least 2 guitars, and 5 pedals I haven't looked at in years.

Maybe I'll try some oddball stuff, like I have this brand new winter coat I've hardly worn. Well, odd to me, since I don't think of going online for clothes, but have seen it on ebay.

My daughter's boyfriend is real industrious. He's a bicycle mechanic. He actually buys bikes on ebay, upgrades it with parts bought on ebay, then triples his investment by selling it locally, or on ebay. I can barely muster the energy to sell a pedal, but how the hell do you ship a bike?

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #32
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
For some reason, I think total fees are more than 12 %. Well, the bottom line is, I have crap sitting in my closets. At least 2 guitars, and 5 pedals I haven't looked at in years.

Maybe I'll try some oddball stuff, like I have this brand new winter coat I've hardly worn. Well, odd to me, since I don't think of going online for clothes, but have seen it on ebay.

My daughter's boyfriend is real industrious. He's a bicycle mechanic. He actually buys bikes on ebay, upgrades it with parts bought on ebay, then triples his investment by selling it locally, or on ebay. I can barely muster the energy to sell a pedal, but how the hell do you ship a bike?
Hahaha...that does sound like a problem but I guess he has it figured out.

I was like you basically with stuff that I wasn't using but it seemed like too much annoyance to have to deal with Ebay. In my case, not having the boxes was what was holding me back.

Pedals are easy to sale and ship and to find boxes for. It's just the effort of selling them one at a time and making any money on them after Ebay, PayPal and shipping all gets paid for.

If you have the boxes, guitars at least should make you some money.

I like the bike story however. That's a good example of how you can make most anything work once you figure the system out. He has done it enough to know exactly what he has to do (and not do) to make money at it.

With boxes, the key seems to be to keep the depth as shallow as possible. At some depth the rates go crazy.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #33
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode Just getting started DanRode Just getting started

Yeah, I still have them and they're pretty good. I also bought some super-cheap earbuds and they went directly into the trash. IIRC, I bought earbuds and a ruler via eBay this year. I bought at least 50 items on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I still like buying odds and ends from ebay. Dan- wasn't it you that started the thread on cheap ear buds? I still have mine, and they sound fantastic.

I still haven't figured out the rough % in fees for ebay/paypal; it's there a % I can expect?

That one sale I made- noiseless pickups I think I sold for a little less than $80- I think I netted something like a little over $55.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #34
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
If you have the boxes, guitars at least should make you some money.

I like the bike story however. That's a good example of how you can make most anything work once you figure the system out. He has done it enough to know exactly what he has to do (and not do) to make money at it.
I have to give the kid credit. He's a mountain bike rider, and specializes in those bikes, and and BMX? bikes.

It's not uncommon to see the skeleton of a bike that's chained to a pole. Often, they're high end bikes that were chained for an errand, and someone steals the wheels, so the owner just leaves it. He'll snip the chain, and since he's a partner in a bike shop, knows where to get parts for cost. Then he'll sell the bike for up to a coupla grand. He's smart AF, but school wasn't for him. He comes from an affluent family, but to the chagrin of his parents, he prefers to work with his hands. I gotta respect him for that.

Oh, I was told he's sold stuff on ebay under the table. Not sure I'd trust someone on ebay by sending them a few hundred, to a coupla grand and hope for the thing to arrive. Since he's a partner in a bike shop, I guess boxes isn't a problem for him.

Coblat says he gets boxes from GC. I don't get box from them when I buy a guitar from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
Yeah, I still have them and they're pretty good. I also bought some super-cheap earbuds and they went directly into the trash. IIRC, I bought earbuds and a ruler via eBay this year. I bought at least 50 items on Amazon.
If you want really cheap stuff, check out wish.com. China based. My friend from the wedding thread turned me on to it. You can spend HOURS looking at random shit, and the stuff is incredibly cheap.

I love Amazon. All that soldering stuff, including "helping hands" with a magnifying glass, I bought from Amazon, and I live in an area where I can get same-day delivery on some items. There's some stuff I've found cheaper on ebay, but Amazon has an insane return policy. The carrier they use is pretty unreliable on the same day delivery stuff, so I've had my Prime membership extended by probably 4 months the past 12 months. I bought the DiMarzio pups for my Telly from Amazon. And they've refunded a coupla hundred to me that they wouldn't take back.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 AM   #35
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started

I lucked out today. My banjo arrived and in came in a box large enough to sell my Martin acoustic guitar in the case.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote