Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 10-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #1
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started
Default Loose jack nut on MK guitar

Hi guys wondering if anyone knows the exact size of the nut that tightens the input jack on my Micheal Kelly, I suspect they are all universal size but I don't know that for a fact. the nut itself is not holding I think its just spinning around. Need to get a replacement. Cheers for any help
old geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I don't know the size, but maybe StewMac can help? http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...RoCluUQAvD_BwE

I use a needle nosed plier to tighten the nut on my Telecaster where the nut loosens.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Hi guys wondering if anyone knows the exact size of the nut that tightens the input jack on my Micheal Kelly, I suspect they are all universal size but I don't know that for a fact. the nut itself is not holding I think its just spinning around. Need to get a replacement. Cheers for any help
Jack nuts are not universal in size. My guess is that its likely the jack in a Michael Kelly is gonna be a foreign thread.
Are you able to replace the jack? That would be my 'knee jerk' reaction, just replace the jack with a Switchcraft jack. If you cant do that work, then its gonna be a "search and hope" operation thru a parts box, IF you have a collection of old jacks or potentiometers.

So I got her nothing.
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #4
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm guessing it is a basic panel-mount socket, in which case I would either 1)just replace the whole thing or 2) take it down to the local repairer or music store and see what they have. - They often salvage things like that from repairs.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Does the nut still grip the threads? If so, I'd just get a locking washer from the hardware store, it'll keep it tight and raise the nut up into the 'good area' of the threads (if it grips there).
Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #6
old geezer

Cheers guys. I would rather not replace the entire jack. The second option of suck and see seems best. I am not even sure where to start for a guess of the size ?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
old geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
Does the nut still grip the threads? If so, I'd just get a locking washer from the hardware store, it'll keep it tight and raise the nut up into the 'good area' of the threads (if it grips there).
I think the thread has gone it wont tighten correctly just keeps spinning
Old 10-11-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I use a needle nosed plier to tighten the nut on my Telecaster where the nut loosens.
A little dab of "Loctite" (the BLUE Loctite, not the red Loctite) on the jack threads will keep the jack nut from loosening up, and you can remove blue Loctite with regular tools.

Also, a long nose socket on a screwdriver type handle (like a nut driver) works better than needle nose pliers to get it tight without slipping off. You can make it tight enough with one of those screwdriver handle type drivers, and not worry too much about breaking the jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
the nut itself is not holding I think its just spinning around. Need to get a replacement.
I seriously doubt its the nut "spinning around"... its VERY likely that the threaded barrel of the nut is turning where it attaches to the body (or the fiberboard) of the jack, depending on the way the jack is constructed. If thats it, then a jack replacement is in order.

So I got her nothing.
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:40 AM   #9
old geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillmoreNYC View Post
A little dab of "Loctite" (the BLUE Loctite, not the red Loctite) on the jack threads will keep the jack nut from loosening up, and you can remove blue Loctite with regular tools.

Also, a long nose socket on a screwdriver type handle (like a nut driver) works better than needle nose pliers to get it tight without slipping off. You can make it tight enough with one of those screwdriver handle type drivers, and not worry too much about breaking the jack.

I seriously doubt its the nut "spinning around"... its VERY likely that the threaded barrel of the nut is turning where it attaches to the body (or the fiberboard) of the jack, depending on the way the jack is constructed. If thats it, then a jack replacement is in order.
The nut itself is quite thin and flimsy. under normal circumstances your right it would unlikely be the nut. But in this case it certainly seems like it is. If I could get a match and slightly thicker I reckon it would hold. Does anyone know a ball park figure of nuts to try ? ( sizes )
Old 10-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #10
old geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
Good idea Ron. I was thinking a similar idea by using a nut with greater depth