Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started
Default NPUD

New pickup day! My Epiphany Dot now has a new pair of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. It made a big different in the sound and clarity of the guitar. I like them a lot. Being a semi-hollow body, and having no issues with the pots or switch, I did the swap the easy way. I pulled the old pickups off, cut the wires close to the pickups and spliced the new SD's in. I couldn't see pulling everything out the f-holes for the job. I left all of the wire length coiled up in the pickup cavities, so I could do a complete rewire in the future, if I ever lose my mind.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Congrats.

I think a pup swap is the best upgrade you can make, if you can afford it.

Smart, the way you did it. Was it easy to figure out which wire was hot, and which was ground? When I did my Gretsch, I pulled the whole wiring harness out, because I followed a youtube guy doing the exact same pup swap. I wish he followed the same approach. Still, it took me about an hour.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Great pups, I stuck a pair in a Westfield LP 4300, transformed it completely.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Was it easy to figure out which wire was hot, and which was ground?
On the old pickups, the ground wire was a shield in the wire, so it was simple to identify. The new pickups were 4 conductor plus shield. The Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams were very clear and easy to follow. The job took about an hour, but I was taking my time.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
On the old pickups, the ground wire was a shield in the wire, so it was simple to identify. The new pickups were 4 conductor plus shield. The Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams were very clear and easy to follow. The job took about an hour, but I was taking my time.
I think in my Gretsch, the Gretschbuckers had 2 white wires.

Still, I probably could have alligator clipped the new pups, and simply reversed them, if things sounded bad, right? I'm no electrician, but I remember soldering the wires to an output jack wrong, and it sounded horrible. I just reversed them, and didn't blow myself up haha.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
New pickup day! My Epiphany Dot now has a new pair of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. It made a big different in the sound and clarity of the guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDancer View Post
Great pups...
+1, no doubt.

I've said before that Im not the biggest Duncan fan-boi on the planet, but the Pearly Gates are (IMO) probably the best pickups Duncan sells, and one of the best pickups that doesnt cost a bazillion bucks.

If a player wants that same basic tone with more punch and output, a killer set up is a Pearly Gates bridge pickup used as a neck pickup, and a Duncan Custom in the bridge position. I got that recommendation straight from a Duncan tech, and have used it with great results.

Without incurring the expense of boutique pickups, that particular combination is incredible.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote