Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 12-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

He bought it to mod it, sometimes you just have to change something.

Now his obsession with "plywood" is troubling!
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #12
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
He bought it to mod it, sometimes you just have to change something.

Now his obsession with "plywood" is troubling!
Plywood... my first guitar was a strat knock off that I got for $30 new from a side street vendor. It was awful. Plywood guitars give me nightmares.
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

LBB it is up to you, how and why you want to mod your guitar, and I wish you luck with that. I am looking forward to the sound demo.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #14
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Looks like fun project. I agree that the guitar body is plywood. My LP Special II doesn't look anything like that in the cavity. I like your idea of having two volume knobs and no tone knobs. Never heard of that before, but it's a cool idea. I have the gold Gibson-style knobs on my Epi Dot, and hate them. You can't see what they're set to. The black speed knobs on my LP are much better. Just my opinion.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #15
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
This is plywood, right? I got discouraged about it.
For whatever it means to you, Im certain thats plywood.

Everyone and their brother is gonna have an opinion on that, LBB. YOU have to decide if thats ok or not. I could tell you what I feel, or what I'd do, and someone else is gonna tell you what they feel or what they'd do. The only person thats "right" is the owner of the guitar.

At the end of the day, its how YOU feel about it that matters, nobody else.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #16
stecarey

stecarey Just getting started

I'm literally doing the same thing with one of these -

A friend gave it to me as I said that I wanted to start guitar again. In my world of guitar it's great as it's all I have and I can't afford anything else at the moment. Genuinely it plays really well as I spent ages pooring over a book with how to set up a guitar, it played pretty well before but now it's even better to play. I've learnt a lot from doing this and have decided to tinker with the guitar as it doesn't have any economic value. I'm sure if I can make something like this sound and play ok then i'll be more confident in doing the same with a better standard of guitar in the future.

I'm going to get a second hand set of EMG 81/85 pickups (with all electrics) and locking tuners and then begin to consider changing the nut for something better than the rubbish plastic bit I have.

The best thing I've invested in so far are using better strings on it, also i removed the pick-guard even though it's black

We'll see what happens.

Ste
stecarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:13 AM   #17
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Plywood... my first guitar was a strat knock off that I got for $30 new from a side street vendor. It was awful. Plywood guitars give me nightmares.
What if it was ash, or something else? How does that change things? A former member here made it a point to buy the cheapest guitar possible, then poured hundreds into upgrades, and end up with killer guitars.

Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, and just about every guitar maker make some form of "plywood" if you define plywood as more than one piece of wood sandwiched together.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:15 AM   #18
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
What if it was ash, or something else? How does that change things? A former member here made it a point to buy the cheapest guitar possible, then poured hundreds into upgrades, and end up with killer guitars.

Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, and just about every guitar maker make some form of "plywood" if you define plywood as more than one piece of wood sandwiched together.
Buy the best once and you want have to buy it twice. Period!
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:16 AM   #19
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Here's the demo on how the guitar sound on dirty and a short clean. Well... my grampa tele wanted to chugga too. So half of it is my tele. It has a clean sound too towards the end. The ending riff is both guitars.

The track is really raw. Please excuse me for it. I'm redoing it for a final version. I'll probably do it in drop B.

Enjoy!

http://sclk.co/s852du
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:37 AM   #20
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

At grandpa's age my bet he does not have to worry about wood anymore.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote