Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #21
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
If it were a lefty I'd buy it in a heart beat, just repaint!
Yeppers!
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #22
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Based only on what I've read and heard- Epi produces a better product than Gibson, particularly on their LPs. The headstock angle isn't as severe, and that by itself cures a lot of tuning problems.
I've been reading the same thing, that *such and such* Epiphone is actually better than that persons USA Gibson. I've never bought an offshore Epi (or PRS SE) till now. This popped up, and I LOVE the look of it. I've been wanting to re-work a P90 guitar for a while now, since I have a set of Fralin P90's just waiting for a donor guitar. I decided to pull the trigger on this.

I specifically did NOT wanna go full bang with a USA Gibson or USA PRS this time around. The Godin CT P90 was also in the running. There were things I liked about those guitars, but there was always something that I DIDNT like. I wanted to get something relatively inexpensive and see how it would work out with a pickup swap, probably an electronics swap, and maybe the bridge as well.
I liked this better than any of the Gibsons, Godins and PRS SE's I've been seeing.

I pulled these pics from the Ebay auction I won. The guitar is on its way as I write this.

Its an Epiphone LTD 1955 Les Paul Custom:

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #23
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
I've been reading the same thing, that *such and such* Epiphone is actually better than that persons USA Gibson. I've never bought an offshore Epi (or PRS SE) till now. This popped up, and I LOVE the look of it. I've been wanting to re-work a P90 guitar for a while now, since I have a set of Fralin P90's just waiting for a donor guitar. I decided to pull the trigger on this.

I specifically did NOT wanna go full bang with a USA Gibson or USA PRS this time around. The Godin CT P90 was also in the running. There were things I liked about those guitars, but there was always something that I DIDNT like. I wanted to get something relatively inexpensive and see how it would work out with a pickup swap, probably an electronics swap, and maybe the bridge as well.
I liked this better than any of the Gibsons, Godins and PRS SE's I've been seeing.

I pulled these pics from the Ebay auction I won. The guitar is on its way as I write this.

I heard it from many Epi owners, that owned real gibbys. The tuning issue was a big factor, not to mention the severe angle of the headstock. This gizmo looks like a legit fix for the tuning issue:

That's a beautiful looking guitar! I was THISCLOSE to getting a black one myself. But decided to go an entirely different way.

A very generous forum member is helping me on something. I'm gonna do a slow reveal...seems like p-90 modding mania has hit the forum. My guitar is on its way too. I hope it gets here by the weekend. For now, I'll say it's an LP, and the color is unique...

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #24
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
seems like p-90 modding mania has hit the forum.
Once you get to a point where you have a real amp that doesn't sound like an electric kazoo, and want to use touch response to switch between clean/dirty, you realize that having the hottest pickups available becomes a disadvantage.

The reason I preferred a LP Deluxe over a Standard was that it's pickups were anemic by comparison and allowed me to clean up more easily. I'd go for a P90, but would have to drive my AC30 extremely hard to get what I wanted out of it, or compromise and use a TS8.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #25
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

Almost hit add to cart on that one, but came back to my senses in time. I'm still holding out for a Flying V in Pussy Pink.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:05 AM   #26
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Once you get to a point where you have a real amp that doesn't sound like an electric kazoo, and want to use touch response to switch between clean/dirty, you realize that having the hottest pickups available becomes a disadvantage.

The reason I preferred a LP Deluxe over a Standard was that it's pickups were anemic by comparison and allowed me to clean up more easily. I'd go for a P90, but would have to drive my AC30 extremely hard to get what I wanted out of it, or compromise and use a TS8.
I have many real amps, and many real guitars, and many real pedals, and real software. Different tools, for different uses.

Some of my guitars are even made of wood. Most of my real pickups have low output.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:16 AM   #27
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
This gizmo looks like a legit fix for the tuning issue...
Now THAT comes from someone using their head. Great idea, and hopefully it works as advertised. I must say that I havent had much of any tuning issues on any of my 3x3 headstock guitars, but we all know how THAT goes. Now that I've said it, Im gonna have tuning issues climbing up my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
You hit that right on the head, KamaK. Amps that are set to nuclear meltdown gain levels, and are SO compressed that turning the guitars volume down doesnt clean up the sound, it just lowers the "electric kazoo" effect (great description!!) will tell a player absolutely nothing about the inherent tone of their guitar. A Strat sounds like a LP, which sounds like a Rickenbacker thru an amp like that.

Its the old adage that a "meh" guitar can sound amazing thru a great amp, but nothing will sound amazing thru a "meh" amp.
I believe that 1000%.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 AM   #28
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

^^^^^ another yep. from the yep gallery.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 AM   #29
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
I absolutely love the way that looks. It's like it has 25 years of subtle wear. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:07 AM   #30
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:

Aha! Black guitars are IN nowadays!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote