Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-12-2018, 04:48 AM   #1
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life
Default Incoming: NGD! With An Assist From...

So all this p-90 talk was giving me some p-90 GAS. There was a stock "Duncan Designed" p-90 in the Jazzmaster I had that sounded sweeet, but not sweet enough for me to keep the JM, so I gave that away.

Coblat got himself a new Strat (shame about the noiseless pups), and Seattle went on a retro Danelectro binge (he'll be confused by the painted knobs). LLB was doing a mod with p-90s, and Dan just found an LP he loves; Never one to fall for peer pressure, and having gotten a brand new Classic Player 60s Strat less than a month ago (and 2 Squier CVs, and a PRS Custom in the past 12 months, not to mention the Katana, and new pups for my MiM Strat, and, and...) well, GAS just kicked in, and I had to have a p-90 guitar (the only reasonable thing, I could do, right?

Then, LLB posted the thread about one pickup guitars, with Phil X showing off an old LP in butt ugly TV Yellow, with a single p-90. I spent the previous, freezing week looking at LPs with p-90s.

I settled on a guitar, more or less, but an unnamed member gave me an offer I couldn't refuse: a set of Texas made, Rio Grande p-90s, that arrived just tonight with a nice note. See pics:

As usual, I was on a mission, and looked at hundreds of LPs/LP style guitars. I was looking for the right guitar with that certain mojo, and almost got one in "Vintage Sunburst," but decided to get out of the "traditional" look. This is gonna be a slow reveal, and Fill doesn't even know what I've picked.

It's due to arrive tomorrow, so the timing has been perfect. I've heard demos of the guitar, and even the stock pups sound good, and the guitar has been described as "the best affordable guitar on the market."

I have a set of fret end files arriving tomorrow, jic.

No reason to think I won't have the pups in by the weekend, if not tomorrow. This is gonna be an awesome NGD with an awesome pup mod, that I'm sure will sound awesome. I'll always defer to Fill when it comes to LP sounds, and it's clear Fill knows his shit when it comes to gear.

I've sold some stuff on ebay (another sale tonight), spent less on the new guitar than the $ I pulled in, and the cost of the pups given to me? Zip, zero, nothing. I'm humbled by his generosity, which literally came out of nowhere. It's not as if Fill and I chat in PMs all the time. In fact, I had only recently made some room in my PM box, and Fill's was the first in years that I received with his generous offer.

In Fill fashion, all's I can say for now is: THANKS, FILL-BRO!

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I like yellow! That's going to be a cool guitar!
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

Here's to the good old boy St Fill - proving it's nice to be nice enjoy slim
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I've never had a P-90 guitar but I've played a bunch of different ones. Solid and hollow bodies. I never heard a bad one. I noticed the PUPs are a bit on the Hot side(10 K and 11.5 K) and if you like blues, those should really bark when you push them a bit. Hmmmmm.... It makes me want to go out and buy the ES 330, with P-90's, that I've always wanted but was too tight to buy.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Woohoo! Mod fever is on! Congratulations and good luck!

Yeah, Fill has been so generous with me too with his time answering my questions.

Is that an Epi Les Paul Special?
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #6
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
In Fill fashion, all's I can say for now is: THANKS, FILL-BRO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
Here's to the good old boy St Fill - proving it's nice to be nice enjoy slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Yeah, Fill has been so generous with me too with his time answering my questions.
AWWWWWW!!! Im getting all embarrassed now, haha!!

You're welcome, Slim, and thanks so much for the nice words from you, Abo and LBB!!

I like to 'pass it forward' when I can, and really appreciate the nice comments.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Very cool. Where did all the P90 madness come from? I think I need to go to the guitar store and do some in-depth research
Old 01-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Looks great, Slim! Loads of pictures during the build, please.

On the P-90 madness - when I was a teenager, I had a Gibson SG Jr. Single P-90 pickup. As a stupid 14-year old, that pickup was just a cheap plastic piece of junk. I wanted a real humbucker, with a chrome cover, like on real guitars. So I saved up my money (maybe $10) and bought a humbucker. No idea what brand, to a 14-year old, if it looks like a humbucker, it's a humbucker. The guitar looked great after the swap. As far as sound, well our band played Fender Pro-Reverbs and Twin Reverbs, on ten all the time, so we couldn't hear any tone anyway. I suspect the P-90 I pulled out was a much better pickup that the no-name humbucker I put in. Ahh, the follies of youth.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
Where did all the P90 madness come from?
Haha, I was wondering the same thing!! I've always loved a P90's tone, and have not had a guitar with P90's in it for a long time now, so I jumped on the P90 bandwagon as well.

I do have a guitar coming thats *supposed* (see below) to be delivered today, so hopefully its a good player, and then it goes in the "lab" to see what it does or doesnt need to be a great guitar.
Probably just gonna be a pickup and cap swap, assuming it has good pots, bridge and tuners, BUT... one never know, do one??

(Red faced rant alert: )
*Friggin' UPS, man. That guitar was supposed to be delivered yesterday (Thursday). It departed UPS in Minneapolis on the 8th (Monday) at 11:20pm. It arrived in the UPS Jacksonville hub on Wednesday the 10th at 4:45pm.

The following BULLSHIT has happened since then:

1/11--6:04am: Departs Jacksonville.

1/11--6:17am: Arrives back in Jacksonville.

1/11--3:53pm: Departs Jacksonville .

1/11--4:08pm: Arrives back in Jacksonville.

1/11--8:10pm: Departs Jacksonville.

1/11--9:03pm: Arrives in St. Augustine.

From 9:03pm till Im typing this?? Tracking shows nothing.

Called UPS to find out wtF is going on... IS IT BEING DELIVERED TODAY???
They know nothing... they do NOT know if its being delivered today, they are NOT positive if its actually in St. Augustine, and have no answer or explanation as to the in/out/in/out at the Jacksonville hub.

To add icing to the cake, "their security rules" do not allow me to simply go to the St. Augustine hub to get the package.

(I suspect their "security rules" include the clause: "Ummm... we're actually not sure WHERE your package is, so dont go to the hub where it SAYS it is, cause it probably isnt there... please feel free to call back later for any additional bullshit stories we may have").

I've said this before, and I HAVE gone back on this before, but I will NEVER use UPS for anything ever again.
That company sucks at a level that few (if any) companies suck.

(Rant over. Thank you for your patience. I will now return to beating my head against the wall).

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Deep breath there, Fill. Go to your happy place.....

Hope the guitar makes it today. Of course: no pictures, it never happened.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote