Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 03-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts
Default 3/4 Scale Bass?

So, my kindergartner got a Strat for his birthday. Loves it, wants to play bass too. I'm not going to run out and buy one at LEAST until his next birthday, want to see if the interest in guitar holds out that long, lol. I have a bass, it's an Ibanez 5-string which would be ridiculously big for him for at least another 5 years.

Purely out of curiosity - do they make 3/4 scale basses? Would it even be physically possible to get lows like that with such a reduced scale length?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
So, my kindergartner got a Strat for his birthday. Loves it, wants to play bass too. I'm not going to run out and buy one at LEAST until his next birthday, want to see if the interest in guitar holds out that long, lol. I have a bass, it's an Ibanez 5-string which would be ridiculously big for him for at least another 5 years.

Purely out of curiosity - do they make 3/4 scale basses? Would it even be physically possible to get lows like that with such a reduced scale length?
I haven't looked for one - but yes, I'm almost certain that basses are made in smaller-scale, just like his little strat-ette.
And yes, I'd expect the sound/bass response to be noticeably compromised. But in his case, the priority is fit/comfort/playability. When he's 12 and Boston's water supply has filled him with so much hormones that his hands look like Shaquel Oneal's - and his bass chops have started to happen, and his interest is still there - you can get him a "real" bass.

EDIT: did a quicky google on "3/4 bass" and got quite a list....

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Have a look-see here:

http://kidguitarist.com/bass-guitars-for-kids/
Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Thanks gang - there's more out there than I thought!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
Thanks gang - there's more out there than I thought!
You're welcome. Just try to get him into some decent music. Don't blame us when he ends up like this:

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:25 PM   #6
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

The Ibanez Talman TMB30 is an entry level short scale bass with a scale length of 30 inches under $200. It may work for you. Epiphone also makes a short scale bass in the EB-0 line, but they cost a bit more.

http://www.ibanez.com/products/eb_de...151&color=CL01
Old 03-19-2017, 12:11 AM   #7
Borodog

Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Ibanez makes a 3/4 scale bass in the Mikro series. I have one. I even gig with it. You should see the looks I get. ;O)
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
Jusca

Jusca Just getting started

A little late but ESP makes the LTD B4 Jr. It's a short scale around 28" and a tiny toy-size body. I have it and it works wonders for my small hands (I'm 5'1") so if I comfortable with it, I'd imagine any kid would be too.
Jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:38 AM   #9
Spellcaster

Spellcaster Just getting started

There's a lot to be said for short scales if you suffer from arthritis too. I built this from a Tele six-string guitar. It's the ballsiest bass I own, even though it's smaller than my others.

Spellcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:48 AM   #10
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Yes, there are a whole bunch of different short scale basses available.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote