Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Missinova
Official PRSplaya Groupie

Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies
Default Forest Fire too close to home

Right now there is a forest fire raging out of control near our home.. Eric is at home, the power has been cut off and they have evacuated a huge area just east of our home, and blocked all the roads into the area - so I'm camping out at my Dad's because I can't get through.

The wind is gusting to around 50 mph.. so that isn't helping.
Doesn't look like our home is in danger unless the wind takes a huge turn.. but its a serious pain in the ass.

Soli Deo Gloria
Missinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

That's crappy. I hope everything works out ok.
And Eric with no power...uh oh, that means he's prolly gonna pick up your acoustic with those nice new strings on it. Or have to cook all the meat in the house and drink all the beer, lest it all goes bad.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

While I was stationed at Eglin AFB there were some HUGE fires farther East in the FL panhandle.

I was never in any danger or even inconvenienced by it, but a lot of friends and family called me up to ask about it.

"Uhh... that's a ways away from here and I'm kinda busy most of day... I don't know too much about it."
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
Skeleton Keys
Dorian's Deviant

Skeleton Keys Just getting started

I hope you and your home turn out ok.
Skeleton Keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Missinova

Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies Missinova feels up puppies

Update... I made it through to get home about 10:30pm last night (I fibbed a little to the RCMP as the main road was closed right before access to the road Eric and I live on)I just took some back roads and made it home ok. The power was turned back on to our area around midnight.

The fire is still burning and all the roads are still closed. I called the emergency number this morning to check on the roads and they said that If we don't have to leave - don't because there is no guarantee if I'll be able to get back because of the blockades... There are fire bombers in the area and many many departments of fire crews.. They let it burn all night and only fought it in the air to protect residential areas which were all evacuated and they are still not letting anyone back in the area.

We were lucky we weren't evacuated; the cut off for the evacuation is only a couple miles away. From what I can tell so far, the fire only came within about 3 miles of our home but is going away from our area towards the ocean...

I really feel for people who live past this area up on the Eastern Shore as the three main access roads into the area have all been crossed by the fire and are closed. The only way past the area is a 100km (approx 60miles) go around.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 06-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Missinova

Here are some pictures I took yesterday while trying to get home....

Stuck on the main highway heading to our community... I was there for almost an hour just sitting...

Another shot while sitting in my car...

This is the view from my Dad's front step, where I had to wait for a bit.

This was up on a hill by our house where you could see the fire... too dark to get a really clear shot.. The fire they said at that time was about 1.7km wide (just over a mile) and about 8 - 10km long (5 to just over 6miles). So this was just a small section of the fire...

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Hunter60

Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass Hunter60 Sucks butter from a skanks ass

Damn! That's rough. Hope all turns out well.

Guardian, Warrior, Friend. You will be loved and missed always.
Hunter60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

Smores for everyone!
iiholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Missinova

Update: The fire is still burning... However because the weather has finally cooperated - they are "cautiously optimistic" that it will be contained and under control today. Its further away from homes now than it was - so that is good.

Two homes burned down and about a dozen damaged.. which in the big scheme of things - Isn't that bad. Considering over 5000 people were evacuated and a thousand more were on High Alert to be evacuated.

No one was hurt.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
HDJ
Re-newed Senior Member

HDJ The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking HDJ The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

That's great news.....Glad ya'll made it through okay.
HDJ is offline   Reply With Quote