Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 07-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #21
elklandercc
Why?

elklandercc Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
That's so dumb. My friends were roman candle fighting not long ago and one of them got some pretty serious burns on his arm. Like, use paintballs or something, not fire. Jesus.
The trick is to dodge them. :P

Snakes and smoke bombs are only good in excess, like "hey I got all this dumb shit for free, well, lets just toss it all in the fire."

As for fountains, I'm not a big fan, but some can be cool. My buddy had one that was 1 1/2 minutes long and shot a huge rocket at the end with a green flame, it was the shit. That and the behive ones where it just swarms like bees for half a minute are cool.

I was able to get some 3 and 4 inch display shells a few years ago but haven't had any luck getting more since. I really want to get some 6" titanium salutes. If anyone has the hookup for pro grade stuff, I'll be happy to do some buisiness with you.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #22
Skeleton Keys
Dorian's Deviant

Skeleton Keys Just getting started

Well, if summer's good for one thing, it's for awesome get togethers. I've got a few gigs this week, as for the one I just departed from. We don't need fireworks to enjoy anything, just food, eachother, and a hellotta music thrown inbetween.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:58 AM   #23
Mr. G.
Grizzled Veteran

Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them

The 3 essentials for a good time during the summer are... a grill/bar-b-que, a guitar/music, and large quantities of beer ..... sitting around a campfire on a nice cool summer night is also good fun.
Effects: Boss GT-100
Band: Whisky Business
Mr. G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #24
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
I do ask that question of smoke bombs, fountains, and snakes.
Smoke bombs are good for kids- you don't have to worry about them blowing themselves up- something I almost did when I was in the 3rd grad with a coupla m-80s that fizzled out, but that's another story. What's a fountain?

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #25
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G. View Post
...on a nice cool summer night...
That's pretty much an oxymoron here, by most standards, unless you consider 80F cool. Where we went "camping" a coupla weeks ago in central Texas gets pretty cool at night though...and we did all 4.

I say "camping" because yeah, we slept in tents on a riverbank, but there was an electrical outlet for fans, a bath-house for showering, and a bar/grill that served a pretty damn good burger...so not really roughing it by any means, but it's the kinda place you party all day/night and meet people, not listen to the crickets.

Oh and Slim, a fountain typically comes in a conical shape, and does something like this.

Last edited by Rustee; 07-08-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Rustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #26
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Thanks for the vid of the fountain, Rustee. Don't see it as fun 'cept for little kids when they light things up and run. When I was a kid, we'd throw cherry bombs at each other.

One thing I remember most about the time I lived in Houston was the incredible humidity. And the rain. When it rained really hard, it was like being in a car-wash. Was enough to stop traffic. It's too bad Houston went bust, but when I was down there in the early '80s, it was really booming. I talked my best friend into coming down to work with me and we roomed together for awhile. After work, we'd just hit the pool, then maybe the bars at the "docks" I think it was called. Rough crowd, but never got into trouble. There was a red-light district too. I took a gander at one once, and it looked like something out of the movies. Never was sure if it was legal, but there'd be sign posted out front, something like "adult activities, blah, blah goes on here".

Had an interesting encounter with a stripper I met though- maybe I'll share the story some day. What made it interesting was, we were both in moving vehicles. I was standing in whaddya call it, the doorway of a step-van, the kind you have to step up into. She was driving a topless Caddie with the top down. I'm normally kinda shy, but I was giving her some bullshit rap. Well, that's the intro.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #27
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
It's too bad Houston went bust, but when I was down there in the early '80s, it was really booming.
Well in the early 80's I was more concerned with watching He-man and Transformers, but the local economy here is now one of the best in the nation...and it's not all just energy anymore, though that's still a big component.

But yeah, the air is still thick here. At least I'm closer to the coast (if not practically on the shore during workdays) so I get a modest to strong sea breeze. That water kinda acts like a thermostat...warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, usually with a spread of 4-8 degrees difference either way compared to the inner mainland.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #28
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
unless you consider 80F cool.
At this point, yes.
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #29
Mr. G.
Grizzled Veteran

Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them

Quote:
That water kinda acts like a thermostat...warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, usually with a spread of 4-8 degrees difference either way compared to the inner mainland.
It's the opposite here. The northern Atlantic keeps the coast around 5-10 degrees (Celsius) cooler. During the summer, the temperature inside the house is usually only 2-5 degrees cooler than outside (no A/C), so it's nice to go hang out at the beech when it gets up into the 80's inside.
Effects: Boss GT-100
Band: Whisky Business
Mr. G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #30
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Well in the early 80's I was more concerned with watching He-man and Transformers, but the local economy here is now one of the best in the nation...and it's not all just energy anymore, though that's still a big component.
Thanks for making me feel old. Well, it's good to hear another one of major cities didn't go down the tubes. I just remember everyone was foreclosing on their homes in the mid- 80's I think. My sister foreclosed on a beautiful townhouse. I worked for her husband- that's another whole weird story- he was hooked up with the Taiwanese mob.

An acqauintance of mine, the father of one of my son's playmates almost bought a house in Houston over the internet. Saw a picture of it, and it was beautiful. But he and his wife changed their minds and moved to California. Man, can't remember his name, but he was on the road with the band Alabama for 10 years as a guitarist.