Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 01-09-2018, 03:44 AM   #1
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket
Default Gibson Is Skipping Namm

So Gibson is skipping Namm this year. Not sure why but it seems odd to me?? Anybody know why?
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 AM   #2
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
So Gibson is skipping Namm this year. Not sure why but it seems odd to me?? Anybody know why?
Focusing on CES. Save money. Previous NAMMs didn't provide the anticipated benefits. Busy replacing all of the headstocks from 2015.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:11 AM   #3
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Over the weekend, I saw a youtuber who demos gear, and is a licensed dealer of different guitar brands. He predicted Gibson might skip NAMM. For the last bunch of years, Gibson didn't allow the public into their booth until the last hour of the day. The rest of the day was meeting dealers- by appointment. Basically, the guy said they were acting like dicks.

While I don't know for sure, it could be Gibson dealers were tired of trekking out to NAMM. Gibson's been losing money for years- https://www.thestreet.com/story/1428...-its-debt.html

I'm a prospective customer, and you're going to make me make an appointment?

I think Gibson has made some epically bad marketing decisions the last few years. The robotuner (which jacked their already relatively costly guitars up); their refusal to change the 18 degree angle of the headstock, that leads to breaks all the time, and costs them to fix it, if you have a warranty. They did fix the angle a coupla years ago, but the LP fanboys raised a ruckus, and they went back to the original design. Why not offer both? Lookit the millions of choices Fender gives- but they're not doing great either. The market is flooded with used/vintage, there's other guitar makers that make equally good guitars, and the interest in guitar isn't as great as it was- electrics specifically. But, Taylor Swift may be helping: https://www.guitarplayer.com/miscell...ddie-van-halen

To paraphrase what I read, and how Gibson is going wrong: "Gibson is marketing Lamborghinis, when people can only afford Volkswagons."

I spent a good part of this weekend looking at LPs, and LP type guitars, and prices are outrageous for a guitar that sounds great, but has a massive design flaw. There's more than I can keep track of, that can match Gibson in quality, and probably sound, without the design flaw, and high price.

People will pay only so much for mojo.

Oh, I'm gonna have an LP by this weekend. Seriously.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:43 AM   #4
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
... bad marketing decisions the last few years.
I would argue that the Johnny A model issue is the ONLY thing Gibson has done right in the past FIFTY years.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:15 AM   #5
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

When I was about 20 years old. My uncle worked for a big music store in So Cal. He took me to the NAMM show, had to be about 1982 it was before they started letting the public in at all. It was incredible. It took place at the Disneyland Hotel. At the Gibson Booth they were premiering the new Chet Atkins CE solid body nylon string, and Chet was there demoing it. I got to meet him and sit right next to him on a bar stool and listen to him play that guitar. It was one of those never forget for the rest of your life moments. Outside by the pool Buddy Rich and his orchestra were playing for Slingerland drums. That evening in a tent we saw Ed Shaughnessy playing for Ludwig drums. I went to the NAMM show again several years later at the Anaheim Convention center with a band member friend on public day and it was completely different. It was so different it was actually a big disappointment. I don't think I'd waste my time to go to another.
classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:16 AM   #6
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

The problem with companies that over-price their gear is that people quickly figure out that the emperor has no clothes. Once you figure out that less expensive and used gear does the job just as well and often better then you don't need or want Gibson anymore.

They need a "guitar guy" in charge. PRS is unique in that they offer high-end stuff (too high-end to survive or grow I think if that was all they offered) and affordable stuff that has almost the same fit and form (quality) as the high-end stuff with just a little less cosmetics.

Most companies with affordable lines make them somewhat crappy so that people will have a reason to move up the line.

Gibson just became arrogant. When you spend thousands for a brick with quality issues often times and rely entirely on tradition, it's not going to go well.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

If Gibson isn't going, then I'm not going either.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

If Pdawg ain't going, I'm definitely not going.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
If slim ain't going I might
Abo is online now   Reply With Quote