Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 01-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies
Default Gigs from unexpected places

I've got myself a gig from an unexpected place. At church yesterday, they announced that they are starting up the contemporary choir again. My wife looked at me and said "you should do it!!". "Really!?!? You don't mind me being out at least 2 nights a week rehearsing? NO problem!!". I spoke with them after mass and they said that they need guitar players!! At the very least we will be singers, piano, and 2 guitars.

So tonight is the kickoff meeting/rehearsal and we'll be playing at mass in about 3 weeks. Time to blow the dust off the acoustic!

I've done this before (about 12 years ago) so I know what to expect. At least I won't be a ball of nerves this time around.

At the moment, this gig will get me playing in front of an audience more than my band! Who knows, perhaps I'll find a singer for my band there .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

That's great...anytime you can get with other musicians...and a good singer is a great find. My last band's singer was from the church's choir. It's DRUMMERS I can't seem to find!!! }8^[

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
That's great...anytime you can get with other musicians...and a good singer is a great find. My last band's singer was from the church's choir. It's DRUMMERS I can't seem to find!!! }8^[
That's 100% correct!! When I did this 12 years ago, I found it to be WAY more fullfilling and enjoyable than I thought I would. The pianist/choir director back then was a fantastic musician. I learned a lot from him.

Interesting to know that your band's singer came from a church choir. There's hope for us .

So, yeah, I'm pretty excited if you couldn't tell.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggior View Post
I've got myself a gig from an unexpected place. At church yesterday, they announced that they are starting up the contemporary choir again. My wife looked at me and said "you should do it!!". "Really!?!? You don't mind me being out at least 2 nights a week rehearsing? NO problem!!". I spoke with them after mass and they said that they need guitar players!! At the very least we will be singers, piano, and 2 guitars.

So tonight is the kickoff meeting/rehearsal and we'll be playing at mass in about 3 weeks. Time to blow the dust off the acoustic!

I've done this before (about 12 years ago) so I know what to expect. At least I won't be a ball of nerves this time around.

At the moment, this gig will get me playing in front of an audience more than my band! Who knows, perhaps I'll find a singer for my band there .
Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun. Sounds like your wife is pretty understanding too. A guy I used to work with did the same thing. Also sounds like a great reason to pull out the acoustic.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

I'd love to do that, sounds like a ton of fun. Certainly had tons for fun with the youth Choir when I was a teenager. Never played guitar for Church though.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
BallisticSquid

As a teenager I remember watching the guitar players at mass thinking it would be a cool thing to do one day. Glad I'll have the opportunity again!

Yes, it's a great reason to pull out the acoustic. The time commitment on this isn't anywhere near as much with the band. The church gig rehearsals are every other week for an hour and we go to mass on Sunday already anyway.

I get to go to mass...and play my guitar while I'm there...almost sounds like it should be wrong .
Old 01-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #7
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

When I met my girl in Texas, she was attending a church with alternate musicians. The piano player was a very gifted lady who would almost be at her wits end by end of service from the folks that wanted to serve god musically, but couldn't carry a note in a bucket. It was painful to hear.

She and my girl got to talking and somehow I became involved. I bowed out because it wasn't my church and I didn't have the patience to teach those that needed teaching. It would have probably done me a world of good, but I thought differently about music then than I do now..
Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 AM   #8
Chito
It's all about the music.

Chito The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Chito The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Congrats! Should be a lot of fun. Playing in front of people is always fun.
Chito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Oli

Oli Just getting started

Great news! Hopefully all goes great
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote