Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 02-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #31
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgsByte View Post
I understand 100% why one would believe this, however live Music revenue has been growing ever since mp3s started taking over, its often the primary income for big names. Its now the highest its ever been and still growing. Here's one source.

The Legacy Music industry is in deep do-do now that they have competition and can't make so much ripping off the artists by over charging for shipping, storage, labels, boxes, storage, inventory, breakage (the is/was lawsuit over this, they still want it at the same level as CD and albums even though breakage is over 98% (IIRC) less with electronic distribution, return only IIRC), etc. that is mandated in the contracts. They are in full spin cycle generating as much propaganda as they can and buying politicians left and right trying to get things the way they were. Since many of the legacy news sources are related to or owned by the same media companies its hard to see whats really going on here without really digging deep. The rest of the Music Industry is growing in leaps and bounds, the Legacy companies always completely ignores all these numbers (including much of the live music revenue) in their reports and research. They believe they are the only people in the real music industry. The internet destroyed their business model, not their business, its just moving on.

The Greed of the Legacy music companies is actually pushing many bands to skip renewing contracts, self produce their music into Appel and Amazon and going out on the road because they make way more money that way. They give a lot of music away free, there are several reports showing you make more money and build a larger following this way.

I was not referring to famous bands & concert venues, but local bands and local bars. Around here there is not much live music anymore. The bars are all but deserted-people are broke or want to smoke and don't frequent the bars anymore. A few seedy places have open mic night once a month or so which is just free entertainment for the staff & the 2 regulars & doesn't lead to any bookings or anything.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #32
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Same most places now aly I would imagine
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #33
hippychip

hippychip Just getting started

I'm glad I don't live near any of you guys---live original and/or cover music is thriving here, and if you aren't afraid of a little smoke or salt air at a gig you can make decent money any night of the week (unless you suck)
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #34
SustaiNZ
Exquisite Member

SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

And then there is the big, white elephant in the room - sometimes "dead audience" = "dead band." You might *think* that as a band you're "on" when in fact you're not. Been there, done that.

Far, far too often, cover bands just phone it in, like live instrument karaoke. You've got to sell the song like you own it, but it has to be authentic. If you sell it like a used car salesman - like the over-affected frontman/woman or the guitarist with flamboyant gesticulations that are incongruent with what's actually being played - even the least astute, alcohol-addled audience can smell it.

There are always situations that have been pointed out already - band just there for background and window dressing, wrong music for the wrong crowd, etc. It's a tough game. Shit happens. All you can do is keep on truckin' and give it 100% every time.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #35
jerrycasemusic
The Stray Dog

jerrycasemusic Just getting started jerrycasemusic Just getting started

Done a few of them over the years. Always a shitty feeling.
jerrycasemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #36
RebelSon

RebelSon Just getting started

What's worse is playing one of those lame crowds except with your one crazy fan whom you have a restraining order against, moshing by himself at the required 50ft distance.
RebelSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #37
Gull14
milspec6

Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

As a newbie, I can't add to that as a musician, but I was a stand-up comedian for 3 years in the late 80's and learned a few tricks when the crowd isn't very responsive.

First, load the venue with people who are going to be a lively bunch. I would go out around town testing some jokes out on the bank teller, cashier, etc. and when I find one that really laughs it up, they get tickets and a personal invite to the front row. With luck, I will get about 20 people right up front as leaders for the rest of the crowd to follow.

Second, remind yourself that it really doesn't matter. You get paid the same, so perform it for yourself if they are a dead crowd. When I hit the wall like that, I would try out new material or in some cases, just enjoyed poking fun at the audience for being so lame. Either way, just have some fun with it.
Gull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #38
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

I used to be the one to go around prostituting myself to get our band some gigs. I always loved it when the bar owner/manager asked how many people we would "bring". We were expected to supply the music & the crowd & work for free. Ridiculous !! I don't miss this part of being in a band either.
ALy
Old 03-02-2015, 02:14 AM   #39
Gull14
milspec6

Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Supplying the crowd was part of my job as well back then. They don't tell you that when you start out, but you do have to act as the marketing guy as well as performer.

As for working for free...well Alykat, that I did not do. I got paid up front and if I bombed, I still left the club the same way as if I killed. Padding the crowd just made it easier to perform.
Gull14 is offline   Reply With Quote