Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 03-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose
Default Blue Moon Dulcimer's

Are they any good? Has anyone played one? They seem good for the price.
EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss OD-1E, EHX Holy Grail Nano,
Diddly Bo (handmade), DD7.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Never tried one, but the Amazon price works out to about $180, which seems kind of a lot for me. I built a dulcimer in high school for about $60—now granted, that's just the cost of the wood and fretwire and tuners and stuff, because my teacher was a luthier and let us use his bending iron and all other specialty tools. But I just keep thinking, would I pay $180 for what I've got, even if it was professionally built and didn't suck? And the answer is no. It's just not that engaging an instrument, IMO. It's fun to dick around on, but for that kind of money I'm pretty close to an alright used guitar, and I'm sure I'd have more fun with that.

That's just me, though.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
Never tried one, but the Amazon price works out to about $180, which seems kind of a lot for me. I built a dulcimer in high school for about $60—now granted, that's just the cost of the wood and fretwire and tuners and stuff, because my teacher was a luthier and let us use his bending iron and all other specialty tools. But I just keep thinking, would I pay $180 for what I've got, even if it was professionally built and didn't suck? And the answer is no. It's just not that engaging an instrument, IMO. It's fun to dick around on, but for that kind of money I'm pretty close to an alright used guitar, and I'm sure I'd have more fun with that.

That's just me, though.
Thanks for the feedback. Here they are about £100 through Amazon or equivalent site. That's not bad at all, and would probably buy you a Squier second hand if you so wished.

I've always been a fan of the sound, and listen to a fair few things with dulcimer in them. Very American sounding in an odd sort of way. I dick around on the guitar, mate.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Seems like a fair price to me.

Do you listen to Jean Richie? She is one of the great exponents of mountain dulcimer.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Seems like a fair price to me.

Do you listen to Jean Richie? She is one of the great exponents of mountain dulcimer.
Can't say I have actually, but I'm a big fan of Richard Farina.