Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 AM   #11
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

This wikipedia article sites Jethro Tull among Progressive Rock's most influential groups of the 1970's.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Definitely a prog rock fan - Yes, Rush, Tull, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson were in CONSTANT rotation in my younger years. On the metal end of things, just the big names like Queensryche and Dream Theater. Some Maiden, Metallica, and Megadeth could be considered progressive, so I'll include them.

I've tried listening to some of the newer prog rock and metal and a lot of it strikes me as a rehash of the 70's hayday. I do like some of it though...like Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Riverside, Spock's Beard, and RWPL. Then there are band like Primus and Muse which are more alternative, but considered prog in some circles.

Spock's Beard took me a while to warm up to. Initially they just sounded like they were trying to hard to be the next Yes or Genesis. At some point, I got turned onto Snow, which I thought was an incredible album, a concept album at that. Then going back to their older albums, they didn't sound as contrived.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
joepa

joepa Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by phingerboard View Post
The Police hit the sweet spot for a little while before they pushed the button too hard and started to sound like they were more interested in wanking than in rocking.
Interesting...haven't heard this take before. Are you referring to the Synchronicity album? Sting's solo stuff?

Personally, I was on board up through the Soul Cages album (which is excellent), but kind of dropped off after that.
joepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #14
ghOst

ghOst Just getting started

Love prog rock/metal.

Riverside, Anathema, Katatonia, Porcupine Tree, Storm Corrosion, (new) Opeth, Fair to Midland, Blackfield, Swallow the Sun, Barren Earth...

I can go on and on,..

You are right James Hetfield... "We are all equally outcasts, loners and metalheads. There is strength in that."
ghOst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #15
watson503
Up The Irons !!!

watson503 Just getting started watson503 Just getting started

Watchtower was a great prog-metal band out of Austin - one of Chuck Schuldiner's favorite bands and this album's title inspired the name of Chuck's post-Death band, Control Denied:

watson503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #16
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

What exactly do you classify as progressive rock/metal? It seems to vary from person to person, as do most musical genres.
Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #17
JoeTurner

JoeTurner Just getting started

Progressive rock and metal combine blues based rock with other musical influences and styles....that could mean classical, jazz, folk, medieval, Latin, or anything see you can think of.

A lot of Prog incorporates fantasy/mythological lyrics/themes or just more serious or philosophical themes....so not sex, drugs and rock and roll.....that's right...AC/DC are automatically disqualified

Prog rock is about more than advanced technique....there are bands who I would never class as progressive bands who can outplay great prog bands with one hand tied behind their backs....it's about experimentation and fusion of style.

I'd definitely include the Mars Volta as a modern prog band because of style fusion...Metallica were rhythmically innovation but never a prog band.
JoeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #18
umangbhat3

umangbhat3 Just getting started

Dream Theater is my favorite prog-metal band.
Opeth has some prog songs too, am I right?
umangbhat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #19
dramaticlunacy

dramaticlunacy Just getting started

Dream theater but before dramatic turn of event, chon, plini, animals as leaders, periphery, sithu aye, and polyphia.
dramaticlunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #20
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Prog-rock is something I can get into, at least the way I classify it in my head. I think of it as the kinda pretentious (and sometimes downright wussy) stuff from the mid 70s/early 80s: Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons Project, King Crimson, Yes, etc. You know, basically more exploratory rock, with string arrangements taking precedence over riffs a lot of the time, and weird synth shit, and where production is really everything.

I don't listen to prog-metal at all, but I feel like I'd still be able to pick it out. I guess I just think of it as heavy riffing that goes a little more out of the box, especially time signature wise.