Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 AM   #11
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
^^^^^^ I'm curious too, and I think/hope others in addition to the OP would be interested in your opinions. This is, after all, supposed to be a discussion forum.
Good point
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:29 AM   #12
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Great advice Paul. Thanks for taking the time to write it out.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #13
The Badger

The Badger Just getting started

Well, I know I havent posted any videos or anything to be critiqued but this is mainly because Ive been so busy learning songs!!

Its like my ears have suddenly got on steroids!! I just keep learning and hearing stuff, its amazing!!

I learnt Francine and Just got Paid by ZZ Top and its like my ears have completely opened up.
Iv been learning all the rhythm bits of my Guns N Roses Live era that I dont know and never tried to learn and its like everything is just falling into place and is easy ( apart from a few bits ).

Next part for me is getting the solos but this is the point Iv always wanted for guitar, just playing the stuff I want, learning the stuff I want and just loving it!!
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #14
The Badger

Ok, so I want to change this thread into my own personal guitar journal. Mainly I want to track my progress and look back and what iv achieved to stay motivated.

And also so you lovely people can potentially help me out too

Anyways, these last few weeks I have been playing quite a bit.

Songs Iv learnt are - Speed Parade, Sharp Dressed Man, Tush, Rocket Queen, Into the Void, Problem Child. All of these without the solos.
All by ear too!!

Technique wise it's mainly been in my warm up - 1234 in 8ths with hammers and pulls up the neck then picked back down, the same for 124 &134 in triplets and 1234 in 16ths, at 80bpm. In between these I do a single string picking exercise which started at 80bpm and is now at 100bpm.

I have done a bit of backing track jamming as well and using the key as my root have been trying to play a Major or Minor scale from it. Went quite well.

What I want to work in is.....I always feel that even though I can play these songs (more than Iv listed ) I dont feel I can play them as well as I want to, they don't feel fully comfortable or solid sometimes. .. But I could be being a perfectionist.

So what I'm currently doing and have done today, is go through Al the songs I know at 80bpm, learning the structure fully and trying to spot any tricky trouble spots.

I was on a classical guitar and got through Welcome to the Jungle and Back in Black at 80bpm as well as Speed Parade too.
Im gonna go through them quickly again in my Les Paul when I get home.

I'm not sure whether I'm doing things right or not or whether it's a lack of self confidence in myself. But I'll see how things go.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
PEAVEYUSA
PEAVEYUSA

PEAVEYUSA Just getting started PEAVEYUSA Just getting started

I really don't think you can play by ear unless you know what notes you are listening to. That's just my opinion
Old 06-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #16
MuskRatt
Feeling Compunctious

MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

So if the guys blind does it mean he has to know the notes.. It is still by ears..

Sure is best to learn to read and write music but you should also train the ears to recognize the sound of notes..

Laney IRT60H IronHeart
Peavey Original 412MS G12K-85's 1989 mfg.
Roland Cube 20X
MuskRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #17
The Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEAVEYUSA View Post
I really don't think you can play by ear unless you know what notes you are listening to. That's just my opinion
I don't get this

Playing by ear is playing what you hear.....Knowing the notes will come after in analysis.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #18
The Badger

Well, Iv figured 2 things out tonight.

1) I'm a hardcore perfectionist. This is why I will get stuck on one thing for ages, going over and over it again and again. This is pretty soul destroying.
I will pick out a tiny part that wont sound EXACTLY like the recording and try it over and over and over.......I need to keep telling myself that I wont play it like the original artist and that that's my sound for this song.

2) This is a stupid one. I was jamming with some songs I know just now. Now, although I mainly know them there are a fair few bits I don't know or aren't quite sure of.

So, instead of sitting down to figure them out and get them down I try to plow through it and then get annoyed and frustrated because I don't know and can't play it!!!

What a twat!!

I really need to sit down and go through every song I know by ear and learn every little bit I can.
I'm not too motivated to do this though as I feel I've been going over these songs for years now and have it in my mind that " I should be able to play these by now".

For the most part I can. There's a few bits I don't know and a few bits I cant play. I have a lot of songs to go through and properly master in all honesty.

I need to find a good way to get them up to a standard I'm happy with. I really need to start recording myself playing them.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #19
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfec..._enemy_of_good

I've been there...I have perfectionist tendencies. Embracing the above is liberating. Pauln mentioned this concept recently and it sums it up perfectly. I seriously think I will print this out and put it in my guitar case.

It doesn't mean be sloppy, be lazy. Nor does it mean you shouldn't strive to do your best. You need to accept that sometimes "good enough" is jus that...good enough.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:51 AM   #20
MuskRatt
Feeling Compunctious

MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEAVEYUSA View Post

I don't think you can see red unless you really know what the color of red really looks like. That's just my view
Laney IRT60H IronHeart
Peavey Original 412MS G12K-85's 1989 mfg.
Roland Cube 20X
MuskRatt is offline   Reply With Quote