Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls
Default NSHDODD!

(New secondhand discontinued overdrive day! Ok, that was a bit much...)

Picked up a Vox V810 for $50 the other day. This is not my actual one, but here's what they look like:

Back story: the dirt boxes I've got don't seem to work too well for open tunings. Sounds kind of weird, I know, but a good setting for a standard tuning guitar seems to get way too muddy when I plug in my open A guitar, and I can't dial it down enough and still retain enough crunch. I actually brought this guitar in to a music store to run it through a bunch of Bosses, and the Blues Driver was the closest to what I'm after, so I was keeping my eyes peeled for one to pop up used. Didn't have any luck, but the guy posting this one described it as sounding like a Keeley modded BD-2, so I figured for $50 what the heck.

It was a great choice. It's one of the best sounding overdrives I've ever heard. It's crunchy without being too mushy, and more importantly it works with my other pedals really well. Just for the hell of it I turned all my dirt boxes on at once (Swollen Pickle fuzz > cheap Rat clone > Vox V810 > EQD White Light) and got some pretty psycho sounds. Fun times.

Anyways, there's my tale. If you get a chance to try one of these out, do it.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending

Awesome! Just goes to show that you don't need to break the bank to get a great overdrive sound.

But you know what's funny? Out of curiosity I just looked up the schematic and... it's a Tube Screamer.

Well, sorta. They omitted the high pass filter in the clipping stage so it's letting more bottom end through and there's a few other tweaks here and there but, yeah... for all practical purposes it's a Tube Screamer.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Yeah, I had read that when doing some light research before buying. Somehow I've actually never played a Tube Screamer, though, so it's all new to me either way.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending Revenge of the Naked Ape will give you a happy ending

The biggest difference you'll notice is that a TS will give you a pronounced mid hump while the VOX is more 'full range.'

I also suspect that it sounds louder (especially for playing rhythm) since it's not cutting the low frequencies so much.

Either way it's a super cool purchase. That enclosure looks like it would be a fairly effective long-range weapon in a bar fight, too!

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Old 04-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

I would not like a pronounced mid hump.....then I would have to move to Notre Dame.
I wish I had someone to school me & shop with me so I could get some cool shit so I could sound like a rock star What a bargain !!!
ALy
Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
spacedog
mere mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
The biggest difference you'll notice is that a TS will give you a pronounced mid hump while the VOX is more 'full range.'

I also suspect that it sounds louder (especially for playing rhythm) since it's not cutting the low frequencies so much.

Either way it's a super cool purchase. That enclosure looks like it would be a fairly effective long-range weapon in a bar fight, too!
Good to know. It's nice to know a good starting point to look for a replacement if this ever craps out.

The one I have is significantly more beat up and less shiny than the one in that pic, and I got it from a guy who plays a bunch of rockabilly... so it may very well have ended a few bar fights in its day.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
Good to know. It's nice to know a good starting point to look for a replacement if this ever craps out.
You can literally take any TS clone, clip out one resistor and you're back in business.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects