Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 04-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #31
strumnhum

strumnhum The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking strumnhum The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I USED TO play in any number of bands-few decades ago, had very nice equipment, but wasn't enjoying it--got to be too much like work, and while we had lots of good players come and go, seemed someone (not me) always had some conflict going on with other players. Quit for a while, then started a again, with an inexpensive used electric(a Samick that people in the store came over to see what I was playing as they said it sounded very good-coudn't have been me!) and a practice amp (Roland Micro Cube). Found I enjoyed playing, never had a Strat back in the days, went looking for a good used one-found a Squier Fat Strat (Korean '96) in good shape with a great neck, but badly in need of a good set up. Brought it home, set it up, NICE playing and sounding now. Then decided it was time to try a tele on for size- bought a Squier CVC tele--nice guitar, haven't really bonded with it yet--may just not be for me, but giving it a chance. And have another amp now, powerful enough for gigs if I decide to get back into it again. The total price of all is less than one amp I used to own. I like the guitars I have, not lots invested, but fine for me. So I have all my bases covered without spending a fortune. Would my guitars be enough for some-maybe not, no big brand names, but I'm not out making money with them and I'm not a collector, and don't have the need to impress anyone with the name on the headstock. So that's why I like what I have--fine playing, and at least to me, fine sounding, without lots invested, so if I ever want to sell them off, won't be out a lot. But no plans to sell (well, maybe trade or sell the tele for something different). I enjoying playing and not dealing with conflicts of personalities. Though I may decide at some point to see about forming a band, but for fun, with people who enjoy it, for a good time. If it made money, that'd be good too, but not the primary objective.
strumnhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:26 AM   #32
Funkle
o0O

Funkle Just getting started

I boxed up my studio years ago when I got married. I just opened a box looking for an instrument cable for my practice amp and they all smelled like weed.. 6 years later
So. I guess I love my gear a little less than I used to, but it's fragrant
Funkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #33
SensoryOverload

SensoryOverload Just getting started

VOX AC30 just sounds so crisp it has chime, classic tone, just great classic rock sound
SensoryOverload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #34
Half Stack

Half Stack Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkle View Post
I boxed up my studio years ago when I got married. I just opened a box looking for an instrument cable for my practice amp and they all smelled like weed.. 6 years later
So. I guess I love my gear a little less than I used to, but it's fragrant
Too funny.
Half Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #35
Half Stack

Half Stack Just getting started

Wow, some really deep stuff in this tread. I never let go of a single piece of gear. It all represents a time in my life, a time in my creative process.
Half Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:01 AM   #36
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

I have a theory that many of those that love their axes love music more than those of us that don't. They love their axe because it is the key to their true love, the music. There are others of course that just love the guitar itself, the wood, the workmanship, the feel in your hands, etc., I can see this in my Parker Fly, but I don't see it making it special. If I lost it I could buy another to replace it so its value is more in $ than "love". My wife looks at some of my guitars as works of art and insists I hang them on the wall.

And obviously those that mod and personalize their guitars also seem to grow really attached to the guitars they make perfect for them, as I assume I would if I had the energy to do that much work.

When I was a pro musician (French Horn) early in my life I thought I loved music more than anything, but Music was never more than a part of my life at that time. Yes I played at least 4-8 hours a day, but it wasn't enough to get me where I wanted to be and eventually I left music for math and computers. Once I really understood computers, they consumed the next 30 years of my life in a way Music never has, more like at least 10-16 hours a day 7 days a week for 30 years, I always programmed or studied computers in my off time.

I've owned 1 French Horn and 6 guitars in my life. I currently have over 20 computers including a Sun Sparc 8Proc server. My wife has donated/trashed over 75 in the last 5 years with my full cooperation since I was diagnosed with cancer and am no longer able to use them. In any case, I can't say I've loved any off them; except for maybe my iPad, but I still look at that more in $ terms and the place it holds in my tech spectrum than in the actually device, I'd update to latest in a second if I wasn't looking at getting a better amp. They were all just tools I used to learn and study computers.

Now I've also been a ham radio operator since I was 12 and I do really love some of my radios, but I don't "love" doing ham radio to the same extent that I love music or computers. I like ham radio more because I get to use my supper neat Radios then just doing "Ham" things. When I was a kid my thing was building antennas more than operating. Typically I operate digitally combining my radio and computers skills. Most of these radios or radios I dreamed of most of my life because I could not afford them, as soon as I could I bough them even though I was not an active ham at the time.

For me with guitars the closest I came to loving a guitar was my first guitar, a 1973 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty (Its was eventually stolen). That was a work of art. Probably ruined me for guitars for life as well . But I still look at guitars scientifically, not emotionally, I just don't see the difference in individual guitars of the same brand/type/etc. once they are setup properly and have no major flaws. I played a half a dozen Parker Fly Classics and all played and sounded identical to me. Of course my ear sucks and I may just not be good enough to see the difference myself so I have no argument with those that disagree with this view.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote