Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEAVEYUSA View Post
Um learn scales
And how to apply them. Learn your scales and then play with backing tracks. Improv skills are invaluable for a guitarist.
Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin R View Post
And how to apply them. Learn your scales and then play with backing tracks. Improv skills are invaluable for a guitarist.
Very true!!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
jerrycasemusic
The Stray Dog

jerrycasemusic Just getting started jerrycasemusic Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
I personally wouldn't be learning songs at this stage seeing the technique of fingerstyle can be challenge enough.
All due respect brother, but learning songs is the best possible 'exercise' there is. It's just a question of picking a level appropriate song. I think a huge problem today with a lot of learners is that they are too focused on looking for lessons or exercises. You want to play music > play music. Not drills. Music IS the 'drills'. Find a song that fits what you are trying to accomplish and learn it. Best and most fun exercise there is. IMO of course.
jerrycasemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #14
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

The classicists learn scales, but I'm not so sure it is a good idea for most popular styles of fingerpicking. Certainly not for Sungha Jung's style, which is chord-melody.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #15
fused

fused The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking fused The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking fused The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking fused The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

All I do is improv anymore.
Got tired of playing other peeps stuff....
So now I just suck playing my own stuff

To truely improv......what does it take....
I guess it depends on how Improvy (if thats a word?) you want to be.
If we get very basic, and want to improv on an existing song...
get the "jist" of the song, the melody...grab a line from it and then just start to embellish it.
Add a note, take away a note,bend a note, vibrate a note with your finger tip,
change the timing durining improv only to return back to normal at the end.
At this very basic level, you don't need to dig into heavy theory or know a lot of scales/chords. Assumption is that you know the song already.
Let your soul walk around on the strings....

To do Improvs as I do them, that will take a much longer conversation...

Keep it simple for now. Let your licks vocabulary grow.
Eventually you will just realize you're doing it

Just keep it fun, spend time with your guitar, become one with it....
fused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #16
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
The classicists learn scales, but I'm not so sure it is a good idea for most popular styles of fingerpicking. Certainly not for Sungha Jung's style, which is chord-melody.
Right but with scales comes the ability to constrict chords all over the neck. Which may be something he'd like to do.
Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #17
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

learning to play better is important. but one thing not to overlook is how to control your instrument.
if you're not playing, turn you guitar's volume down.
when yo are playing, play cleanly by developing good muting techniques, and good right hand.
if you jam with others, keep your solos short, and don't step on the others whilst they do their thing.
always be in tune
use your volume knob to control gain.
always use less gain than you think you need.
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:22 AM   #18
Folk

Folk Just getting started

Quote:
Um learn scales
and train it
Folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:31 AM   #19
Pooner

Pooner Just getting started

Quote:
Um learn scales
Ditto. Pentatonic and blues penta tonic as well.
Pooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #20
Half Stack

Half Stack Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Excellent points!
Some kinds of songs have a "constant" guitar going on throughout, others have the guitar "coming in and out" as needed... keeping that distinction in mind clears up a lot of songs.
There are methods of presenting the soloist's moments at his best by everyone else using various strategies to support him and still keep out his way (adjustments to volume, frequency range, tone, effects, etc...). Using those methods is one of the biggest factors between bands that sound tight and those that sound mushy and confused. In a recording studio, this is done by the engineer to make a good sounding result; it is a huge musical step forward when everyone learns how to do this naturally when performing live... it's what those knobs are there for on the instrument.
These are great points. I played in a band once where the bass player simply could not get herself to mute LOL. We would end a song & there would be this inevitable bass note ringing. It used to crack me up.
Half Stack is offline   Reply With Quote