Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 04-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #31
Jkool

Jkool Just getting started

Thank you so much everyone for your help!
Jkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #32
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops

We're always here if you need us
Old 04-12-2015, 12:48 AM   #33
Jkool

Thanks...I have a question... what should I use to keep it polished and clean on body, strings and neck etc?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:22 AM   #34
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

Stay away from "guitar wax". It is a gimmick that is designed to sweep another five bucks out of your paw. Wax is your enemy; you'll get cloudy buildup that is very hard to remove once it gets to that point.

By all means get a microfiber guitar polishing cloth. This is the thing that seems like a gimmick but it's well worth spending a few bucks on. Household and clothing-grade cotton weaves are very abrasive and will cause swirling and wear damage to your finish. Paper towels are even worse.

For cleaning the strings, you can use rubbing alcohol. Do not use any kind of soaps or oils on the strings, because it will soak into the wound strings and ruin them. For the body you can use slightly damp cloth if there's crap that needs to be scrubbed off - otherwise just buff it with a dry microfiber cloth. "Anti-static cleaner/surfactant" that is available at places like Radio Shack and Staples are great in place of any kind of soap; it will clean the guitar surface without doing any damage, and it will also mitigate dust attraction.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:06 AM   #35
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops

As with phingerboard, anything that remotely mentions the word "Furniture Polish" should be kept very clear of, especially dealing with any uncovered softwoods such as Rosewood/Ebony fret boards. If you use Pledge Furniture Polish on the board, bad things will happen.

You should clean and condition the board once a month depending on your humidity levels, or at least during string change. For that, I use a small dab of Dunlop 65 Lemon oil on a clean terry cloth, rub the fret board, then use another clean terry cloth to wipe the access right away.

For the body, definitely use a microfiber cloth.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:03 AM   #36
Jkool

Again.... THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm glad I did not jump with out asking.